Seizure meds

I am on Lamictal 50mg twice a day…I had to come off birth control pills because they can decrease the effects of Lamictal…even since coming of the pill, I have ben very hormonal, irritable, poor self esteem the week before my period. I had always noticed it before, just not this severe. I would not classify it as depression, it resolves as soon as I get my period; I do NOT want to hurt others or myself. Just really cranky. I had read about IDD-something that one can get when on seizure meds. Is anyone out there have it?

IUD? Intra-uterine device? Can you change seizure medications? Im on kepra and still am taking birth control pills.

Yes…Intra-uterine device…I am doing pretty well on the Lamictal; and afraid to change…You may want to check with your doc…my neurologist and my gyno both said that since sz meds and birth control are both metabolized in the liver; they can counteract eachother and decrease their effectiveness. Not sure if it applies to Keppra; but nurse instincts are saying it may. Apparently, the new IUD Merana is realy great. I have alot of friends that are using it; and love it!

I sent you a private message discussing things more but not sure if I did it right. Shoot your email my way Manda049@aol.com and I’ll email ya back.

Pheebzmom said:

Yes…Intra-uterine device…I am doing pretty well on the Lamictal; and afraid to change…You may want to check with your doc…my neurologist and my gyno both said that since sz meds and birth control are both metabolized in the liver; they can counteract eachother and decrease their effectiveness. Not sure if it applies to Keppra; but nurse instincts are saying it may. Apparently, the new IUD Merana is realy great. I have alot of friends that are using it; and love it!