SRS Completed - Smooth Sailing!

I had my SRS (Stereotactic Radio Surgery) procedure at Duke University with the Novalis TX on Jan 8, 2010 and I don’t think it could have gone any better. I feel very lucky. It lasted about 1 hour and only a small headache due to the mask that keeps your face in place. Exactley one month after having the procedure, my hair fell out in the area (right parietal region) where they radiated with the Novalis TX, and since they can shape the beams to only radiate my AVM, rather than my whole right side of my head, only a strip of hair fell out and luckily, you cannot see it b/c my other hair covers it up. I have not had any symptoms to speak of and I have had my epliepsy meds reduced. I go back in June for another MRI to see how the AVM is responding to the radiation and hopefully it won’t take the whole 2 years for this to completely obliterate. I wish everyone could have such a successful treatment as this. I will keep you guys updated…

Caroline those are two of my favorite words !
I wish for you smooth sailings all the way …

Caroline,
That is great. I had the same procedure done with Novalis in Sept 09. Like you I lost a small patch of hair but underneath the other hair. I have had no side effects either and am feeling great. My avm is on my left parietal so exactly the opposite as you! :slight_smile:

Rachel

Caroline,
Thank you for your post for everyone to read. I’m currently a candidate for srs and am kind of nervous about it the whole procedure in general. Please keep us updated on your progress and my prayers are with you.
Jessica

Jessica,

I wish you the best, and I think the experience is different for everyone. It is Mid April and I had my SRS in Jan and still no problems, side effects. Even the hair I lost is just now starting to grow back slowly. I hope you have the same experience I am having with it.

Jessica Ables said:

Caroline,
Thank you for your post for everyone to read. I’m currently a candidate for srs and am kind of nervous about it the whole procedure in general. Please keep us updated on your progress and my prayers are with you.
Jessica