Sudden Dizziness and Nausea

Last night I arrived home from work and experience sudden and sever dizziness. When attempting to walk, I kept falling over to the one side. Along with being extremely dizzy, I felt really nauseous and felt like I was going to puke on several occasions. Being home alone, and clearly not thinking, I laid down and fell asleep for an hour or so. About three hours later it eventually went away, and I was feeling fine. However today at work I was feeling a bit lightheaded again.

I have no idea if this could have anything to do with my AVM in my occipital lobe. Has anyone ever experienced this before relating to their AVM?

Hi Becky,

I don’t know if it is or isn’t related to your AVM, but I know experiencing something like that would make me nervous. In your shoes, and for peace of mind, I think I’d call my doctor–if he/she can’t be paged at this hour, there will be a doctor on call who will call back and talk with you about what might be going on.

Yes, I strongly believe it is related to your AVM. Severe dizziness to the point of passing out and feeling nauseous are one of the symptoms that prompted me to consult a doctor that leads to the discovery of my AVM.

Hi Becky, I’m not sure if your experiencing seizures with your avm or not. So, if not I don’t want to frighten you but my avm was discovered from my seizing. Since, eight years old I would have Grand Mal seizures usually always in my sleep. But as of two years ago I started having what my doctor calls atonic seizures. My experience with these start with a massive migraine that onsets quickly my entire head, I get very dizzy to the point if I don’t sit down I will fall down. So, even if I’m walking down a street I sit. I do not lose consciousness, these also come as quickly as they go. But, I’m thinking if you haven’t had a seizure experience before this may be it or even if you had like I had, you may be having a different kind of seizure. Talk to doctor about, they will know for sure. Your experience, reminded me of mine, so I could definitely relate, hope everything turns out okay. Keep us all updated.
Take Care,
Sheila

Thank you for the comment Sheila, my AVM was discovered from a grand mal seizure. Since then I haven’t experienced a seizure, but I’m not on any medication. I’ll be sure to talk to my doctor and let him know about what happened!

Sheila Hillhouse said:

Hi Becky, I’m not sure if your experiencing seizures with your avm or not. So, if not I don’t want to frighten you but my avm was discovered from my seizing. Since, eight years old I would have Grand Mal seizures usually always in my sleep. But as of two years ago I started having what my doctor calls atonic seizures. My experience with these start with a massive migraine that onsets quickly my entire head, I get very dizzy to the point if I don’t sit down I will fall down. So, even if I’m walking down a street I sit. I do not lose consciousness, these also come as quickly as they go. But, I’m thinking if you haven’t had a seizure experience before this may be it or even if you had like I had, you may be having a different kind of seizure. Talk to doctor about, they will know for sure. Your experience, reminded me of mine, so I could definitely relate, hope everything turns out okay. Keep us all updated.
Take Care,

Sheila

Becky,

I too experience these symptoms. Do they happen when you are in stressful situations? Also are you having difficulty finding your appetite?

During this episode I wasn’t stressed at all, I had just got home from work and was on my computer. Since I felt so sick I couldn’t even think about food until the nausea and dizziness passed. My parents want to wait to see if it happens again before calling my doctor about it.

Shamon Pratt said:

Becky,

I too experience these symptoms. Do they happen when you are in stressful situations? Also are you having difficulty finding your appetite?

I too have dizziness, feel like i’m falling to one side. I’ve had to quit my job, b/c it was very stressfull; even though i loved it ( i worked at an animal hospital). My AVM is in my cerebellum and is untreatable, except w/ meds to lower blood pressure and clonipan (sp?) to keep me calm. The nausea is awful, i don’t have it every day, but most days. People keep saying “you’ve lost weight”, well who wants to eat when you feel that way, and it gets old trying to explain the situation.
My advise to you would be to definitely invest in a b/p machine, one the electric ones, make sure your b/p doesn’t get too high, rest, and find your triggers, it could be stress or lack of sleep or anything else that upsets you. And you make not have problems from it until a few days later. My cat died 2 weeks ago, he wasn’t even a year old (had cytox; a tick disease). He laid on my chest every time i had a seizure, so i miss him something awful and cried for several days. Sunday during church i had one of the worst seizures and have felt so drained and i’m sure that losing him and grieving is part of it.
Good luck and remember; no question is a dumb question, so don’t feel bad a/b asking your dr. a/b your symptoms. Better safe than sorry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!
I had the same feeling, You should call you doctor because you can have a mild seizure with those symptoms…I believed it is related to your avm. or related to a seizure well that’s my opinion I can be wrong…Is always good to have check up…Good luck and god bless…If you don’t mind keep us posted with follow up with this please…