Summer!

Does anybody else have trouble with the heat and humidity of summer?

My first summer after my AVM I froze but now I’m getting heat headaches and just feel sluggish… :frowning:

As an above knee amputee (and AVM-Rupture Survivor)I haven’t found that the heat (because of sweating) or the cold (because of the cold) is any better or worse, I didn’t have an issue with walking before, I wear a prosthetic, the problem is with where the bleed happened. My balance is off because of the injury, but anyway I guess the heat could bother me a bit more, my wife says I sweat more when I’m in the heat and at times it effects my blood pressure,I get some swelling in my leg (adema) “sometimes”

(this is my first time writing on the site)
Chuck

I have a hard time now with the heat. I loved the heat before surgery but now I have a difficult time with it.

Jennifer

i don’t like the cold because i cant manuver very well and i’ve always liked the heat,but it don’t like me.

Can’t say the heat really bothers me…I played 36 holes of golf on Sunday in 105F temperatures:) No headaches, just stayed hydrated. -GK

Spring & Summer are my favorite seasons, yet I don’t tolerate the heat well since my surgeries, so will tend to yardwork & any outdoor activities earlier in the day when it’s cooler.
Stay cool! :slight_smile:
Patti

Argh. Since getting my SCI from the AVM rupture I can barely tolerate the heat. Summer used to be my favorite time of year, but now I dread it every year. It doesn’t take being in the heat or sun for very long for me to be overcome by symptoms of heat exhaustion, or even heatstroke.

It’s fairly common for people with SCI from the T-8 level or higher for their bodies to no longer regulate body temperature properly.

I currently live in the desert, so it’s hot but it’s a dry heat. A couple of weeks ago I spent several days in Texas, where it was hot and the humidity was high. As has happened several times before when I spend time in a humid climate, I ended up with bronchitis, and then a sinus infection, and on the plane ride back, one of my eardrums burst. After a couple of days back in the dry climate I’m accustomed to, my lungs are back to their normal. But I’m preparing to move to North Carolina soon, and there is a lot of humidity where I’ll be living, though it doesn’t get as hot as it does here or in TX. So while my lungs will have to acclimate, I’m hoping that at least maybe the lower heat will offset the higher humidity.

Since the AVM rupture, heat for me is not only offensive, but is a hazard and can quickly lead to serious problems, so it is to be avoided and evaded as much as possible.

Autumn is now my favorite time of year, and then winter.

Yep. I cant tolerate the heat of even the sunshine for very long anymore. It never got any better for me and its been two years now.

HI ALL I AM WITH YOU I CANT STAND THE HEAT I CANT STAND THE HEAT I REALLY CANT STAND THE SUN ON MY HEAD . THE FIRST TIME I WENT IN IT THE SUN MADE MY HEAD AND SCARE HURT SO NOW IF I HAVE TO GO OUT I WILL PUT A HAT ON MY HEAD DONT WANT MY HEAD TO HURT BECAUSE OF THE SUN BEAMIN DOWN ON IT. EVEN THOUGH IT’S BEEN 9MONTHS I AM STILL NOT TAKIN ANY CHANCES WITH GETTIN A HEADACHE BECAUSE OF THE SUN. COME ON BACK WINTER I HOPE I HAVE MORE HAIR THEN. BE SAVE EVERYONE IN THE SUMMER HEAT WE ARE STILL HEALIN BE BLESSED

The heat of summer gets to me. It mostly leaves me with dizzy spells and more headaches than usual. It has improved slightly over the years, but even though I have been through 6 summers since my craniotomy, it is still difficult to deal with the heat.

Being in Texas, we’ve had 3 digit temperatures for about a month now. Plus historically (I’ve been in Texas for over 40 years) August was always the hottest month in Texas. My advice? Stay in the air conditioning. Even the doggies like it better… Sunshine is overrated IMHO. Stay cool!

i have, i must say and my doctor told me to be careful concerning the issues with sun(wear a hat)

I like the heat, but if it’s too hot or humid, it wipes me out.

make sure you drink plenty of water and wear sunblock.

I visited AZ about a month ago and the heat left me nauseous. I was also building up to a really bad migraine with aura and everything. I’m glad I moved away from there when I did, I wouldn’t be able to function. I was a zombie.

I also loved the summer and the heat before my AVM bleed. Now I am very careful of looking into the sun…the 2 seizures I had were from looking directly into the sun. I wear special sunglasses and look away from the sun now.