Suppressed Sneezes - a danger to Cerebral AVM's?

Hi everyone - I just joined AVM Survivors Network this week after being diagnosed with an active unruptured AVM in my right thalmus/basal ganglia. Since I am fairly new, I wanted to pose a discussion question to those with cerebral AVM's - has anyone heard anything about dangers associated with suppressing sneezes? You know those sneezes you hold in to spare those around you - the ones they always told you would cause brain damage when you were little?

I was reading online that this habit may in fact be dangerous to the average person... http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/12008/think_a_sneeze_isnt_dangerous_think.html ...not to mention those of us with brain AVM's.

This is definitely a bad habit of mine and when I suppressed a sneeze this morning on the bus to work, I paused as if my life was going to end. It was my first suppressed sneeze, post AVM diagnosis and really caught me by surprise - just like bumping my head on the counter while cleaning yesterday, or the pulsing headache I fell asleep to last night - once common occurences that now seem to threaten my next breath with a bleed.

Apologies for being somewhat dramatic, just a tad bit on edge. But has anyone an idea about the sneezing? And did anyone else feel this sudden sense of fragility after discovering their AVM?

Thanks to all for being such a great part of this community!

Carrie

I’m a newbie as well. Also unruptured. I had never thought about sneezing but I have become overwhelmed by many other daily occurrences. Pins and needles, whooshing, blood pressure, clumsiness, blurry vision, etc etc etc! I totally get where you’re at but we have to try and not let it consume us. Anxiety can’t be helpful. Thinking of you. Steph

Hi Carrie... I was diagnosed last September with an AVM and all my life I have plugged my nose when I sneeze so as to not make any noise.. and now I wonder how stupid am I?

I have been plagued with chronic headaches all my life... do you have them a lot too?

Stay well,

Jan

I have those moments my self. I have good days and bad days where I seem to over react to those kind of things. My biggest fear actually is falling and hitting my head though.

Hi Tonna… That’s how I was diagnosed … “incidental finding” they called it. I fell off of a ladder onto interlocking brick and gave my head a good whack. I went to Emergency basically because I thought I broke my arm but after two CT scans, found out I had an AVM. :slight_smile:

Tonna Wenger said:

I have those moments my self. I have good days and bad days where I seem to over react to those kind of things. My biggest fear actually is falling and hitting my head though.

sneeze, don't ever be embarrassed. I like to fart, sbd(silent but deadly). I like being the guy in walmart wearing the pin striped suit ((I'm a Financial Adviser)... no body would even guess it was me. Its like my own little psychological experiment.......... Its ok you can laugh.

I have a unruptured avm, been through two embolizations and gamma at Jefferson u hospital in philly, everything has been great for me. Take it in stride,don't get to down, and move on. Dont get caught up in feeling bad. Just make sure your DR's are the best, and pray that's all you can do. Laughing helps

That’s too funny … my morning smile :slight_smile: Thanks and stay well

Alan M. Ulrich said:

sneeze, don't ever be embarrassed. I like to fart, sbd(silent but deadly). I like being the guy in walmart wearing the pin striped suit ((I'm a Financial Adviser)... no body would even guess it was me. Its like my own little psychological experiment.......... Its ok you can laugh.

I have a unruptured avm, been through two embolizations and gamma at Jefferson u hospital in philly, everything has been great for me. Take it in stride,don't get to down, and move on. Dont get caught up in feeling bad. Just make sure your DR's are the best, and pray that's all you can do. Laughing helps

Carrie, First off, welcome to this site:) I hope u find the answers and support u need now that u are ‘one of us’.lol…As far as sneezing goes, remember, ur avm has been with u for as long as u have been alive! I’m sure growing up u have bumped ur head a time or two far worse than suppressing a sneeze!:slight_smile: Don’t let ur avm psych u out! U are not a china doll, and should be able to live ur life within reason. Let’s see… in my 37 years with a rather large RT side avm, I have 1)hit my head on the bottom of the swimming pool, scraping my hair off :open_mouth: 2) Been hit with a baseball in my RT temple in high school :open_mouth: 3) Numerous fist-fights growing up :open_mouth: 4) played football for 1 year prior to diagnosis:) All this with NO RUPTURE! My point being, as hard it may seem, DO NOT let ur avm define who u are! Take care. -GK

Thank you Greg. Well said and sometimes we all need the reminder.

Greg K said:

Carrie, First off, welcome to this site:) I hope u find the answers and support u need now that u are ‘one of us’.lol…As far as sneezing goes, remember, ur avm has been with u for as long as u have been alive! I’m sure growing up u have bumped ur head a time or two far worse than suppressing a sneeze!:slight_smile: Don’t let ur avm psych u out! U are not a china doll, and should be able to live ur life within reason. Let’s see… in my 37 years with a rather large RT side avm, I have 1)hit my head on the bottom of the swimming pool, scraping my hair off :open_mouth: 2) Been hit with a baseball in my RT temple in high school :open_mouth: 3) Numerous fist-fights growing up :open_mouth: 4) played football for 1 year prior to diagnosis:) All this with NO RUPTURE! My point being, as hard it may seem, DO NOT let ur avm define who u are! Take care. -GK

I just joined this site a few months ago so I’m still kind of new;) I have had my AVM for 7 years now.I have always laughed at my husband when he would yell at me for holding in my sneezes.Wow I guess he was right,1st time for everything …LOL I’m going to show him this later.Thank You for sharing;) I sneeze often due to really bad allergies all year. So I guess we all just have to sneeze away & forget about the people around us;) Hope your doing well & welcome to the group;)

my AVM ALSO SIMILAR IN THE RIGHT THALLAMUS/BASAL GANGLIA CAPSULE RUPTURED THRICE STILL ACTIVE
MY SNEEZING SOUNDS DIFFERENT FROM
OTHERSWEN THEY TURN N SAY MINE IS WITH DTS EFFECT.AND I NEVER TRIED TO SUPPRESS IT.I KNOW SUPPRESSING ANY NATURAL CALLS(SNEEZE,COUGH,HICCUPS,PISS ETC S NOT GOOD.ITS OUR BODY'S RESPONSE LANGUAGE.LET IT GO.HABITS ARE CHANGEABLE
ALL THE BEST

Hi Carrie

I like you have just been diagnosed with a Brain AVM, above the left eye, frontal lobe.
For many years I have experienced very heavy sneezing, symptoms like hay fever. When I sneezed I literally blasted the house down.
This was almost like a very heavy cold or flu, however as fast as it came on, it was gone the next day.
To supress this, I have been taking anti-histamines daily over 8 years.
I truly believe their is a link between my sneezing and possible "inflammation" of my AVM as internal pressure build ups in my head cavity would give me bad sinus problems.
I think to supress these sneezes would have caused more problems so I would say don't hold back with your sneezing blast away Girl

I have had this sudden sense of being fragile after my AVM DX. However 8.5 months later I am realizing that it is okay to live life the way I want to. :slight_smile:

As for sneezing I don’t think holding in a sneeze is good for anyone AVM or now. We asked my doc about sneezing and he just told me to sneeze like a man, so that is what I do :P. it can be loud but then I just apologize to everyone around me for my loud sneeze.

Welcome to the site btw!

Thanks for the link, Carrie. Although I'm not one to hold back my sneezes (I have allergies). I never knew it could be that dangerous to do so. Wholly cats.... If a sneeze can be at 100 miles an hour, I should be able to propel myself backwards.. LOL

Ben

My daughter has two cerebellum avms and nearly died from two bleeds. Right now she is waiting results of gamma knife treatment she had 6 months ago. Today she has had non stop hiccups and in the past week two pressure type headaches. Does anyone know if I should be concerned?