Switching medications

For me switching medications is a huge deal. Just the other day I caught a seizure by the tail with an ativan, with slow steady breathing and some relaxation my aura faded and i came back down to earth. My neurologist is switching me from dilantin to zonisamide. I know that zonisimide is a second generation medication and I am eager to be on a full dosage. The real shitty part is that I do not have health insurance and therefore sometimes receive a generic form of dilantin that does not work at all. Case and point the seizure I abruptly caught by the tail was most definitely caused by the generic dilantin. So hopefully zonisimide will work like a charm because in the process of switching I am taking so many pills and they do not seem to work quite right. The neurologist wants me and keep an even keel with my frustrations with life and school and everything else but I try and then my medication does not work. With luck after I make the switch to zonasimide I will not have trouble getting different forms of zonisimide and therefore will not have these darn seizures. Health, love and happiness to everyone.

- Bryon

I have never heard of zonasimide, but to be honest I have only heard of Dilantin and Lamictal. I was switched from Dilantin to Lamictal and am loving it! The dilantin sucked my hair fell out I was always sleepy and just felt all and all not myself. What kind of seizures do you have? I have only had one and they told me it was a partial seizure. Knock on wood I never have another one they are such an interruption of life. I hope the new meds do you good. The Lamictal is quite pricey and while I was looking for a little relief I found pparx.org it is a prescription assistance program for people who do not have insurance of can not afford it also I know that some drug companies offer help as well. Look up the manufacturer of the med and see if they have any programs that would help. Also there is a site called crazy meds the has a lot of info about anti collusive meds. It is a good place to hear what other people have to say about the pills we have to take to function and from what I see generic drugs are way different than the name brand stuff. Good luck!

hey thanks Jamie for all the information about cheaper medication. every dollar counts these days. i feel you on dilantin sucking, i get real sleepy too and i also seem to get cranky. i have grand mal seizures, i have had seven throughout the span of three years, they are a interruption of life. thank you very much for all of the valuable information. those websites are really going to come in handy.

Jamie Pantelis said:

I have never heard of zonasimide, but to be honest I have only heard of Dilantin and Lamictal. I was switched from Dilantin to Lamictal and am loving it! The dilantin sucked my hair fell out I was always sleepy and just felt all and all not myself. What kind of seizures do you have? I have only had one and they told me it was a partial seizure. Knock on wood I never have another one they are such an interruption of life. I hope the new meds do you good. The Lamictal is quite pricey and while I was looking for a little relief I found pparx.org it is a prescription assistance program for people who do not have insurance of can not afford it also I know that some drug companies offer help as well. Look up the manufacturer of the med and see if they have any programs that would help. Also there is a site called crazy meds the has a lot of info about anti collusive meds. It is a good place to hear what other people have to say about the pills we have to take to function and from what I see generic drugs are way different than the name brand stuff. Good luck!

Bryon, I too have not heard of zonisamide, I was on generic tegeratol for years when I found out the manufacture of it had to change and this is why I was still seizing. I have no insurance as well and was just put on Topamax which cost $1,300.00 a month for my prescription. My doctor will not release me to work so she hooked me up with a prescription assistance program that is ran by Johnson and Johnson and they completely pay for my topamax every month up to one year. As far side effects from new meds. I can also completely side with you on that, my neurologist explains that it is your body adjusting to the medication. But I really could do without!!! You may look into the Johnson and Johnson site from what I understand doctors or patients can apply and they cover alot of medications. Why do they have to be so expensive anyway don’t we go through enough? Guess not! Good Luck and Take Care,
Sheila

Anytime Bryon! That is why we are all here to help and be helped. I hope you can find away to get your meds. They are so important and cost so much it seems impossible to get them at times. Ugh you think with medications like these they would make it easier to get help. At least not give you so many hoops to jump through.

Bryon Michael Sorensen said:

hey thanks Jamie for all the information about cheaper medication. every dollar counts these days. i feel you on dilantin sucking, i get real sleepy too and i also seem to get cranky. i have grand mal seizures, i have had seven throughout the span of three years, they are a interruption of life. thank you very much for all of the valuable information. those websites are really going to come in handy.


Jamie Pantelis said:
I have never heard of zonasimide, but to be honest I have only heard of Dilantin and Lamictal. I was switched from Dilantin to Lamictal and am loving it! The dilantin sucked my hair fell out I was always sleepy and just felt all and all not myself. What kind of seizures do you have? I have only had one and they told me it was a partial seizure. Knock on wood I never have another one they are such an interruption of life. I hope the new meds do you good. The Lamictal is quite pricey and while I was looking for a little relief I found pparx.org it is a prescription assistance program for people who do not have insurance of can not afford it also I know that some drug companies offer help as well. Look up the manufacturer of the med and see if they have any programs that would help. Also there is a site called crazy meds the has a lot of info about anti collusive meds. It is a good place to hear what other people have to say about the pills we have to take to function and from what I see generic drugs are way different than the name brand stuff. Good luck!

Hello Bryon. Best of luck to you with the new medication. I’m not familiar with that one. I am allergic to dilatin (was on it briefly in the hospital), so, I can not say much about it, but, I have been on tegretol for several years now, and it works quite well. I was on the generic version for Tegretol for a while, and it hardly worked at all for me. I had many ‘break-through’ seizures while taking it, so, I think you are right about the difference between the name brand, and the generics. Good luck to you with the process of changing medications (that always is a bit of a difficult process), and I hope things go well for you on the new medication. :slight_smile:

Sheila thanks for telling me about the Johnson and Johnson website I will definitely check that out. It is nice to get support from other people who understand this illness. Also anyone with a disability and no insurance has to work extra hard just to stay afloat. Best wishes to you and yours Sheila thanks again.

Sheila Hillhouse said:

Bryon, I too have not heard of zonisamide, I was on generic tegeratol for years when I found out the manufacture of it had to change and this is why I was still seizing. I have no insurance as well and was just put on Topamax which cost $1,300.00 a month for my prescription. My doctor will not release me to work so she hooked me up with a prescription assistance program that is ran by Johnson and Johnson and they completely pay for my topamax every month up to one year. As far side effects from new meds. I can also completely side with you on that, my neurologist explains that it is your body adjusting to the medication. But I really could do without!!! You may look into the Johnson and Johnson site from what I understand doctors or patients can apply and they cover alot of medications. Why do they have to be so expensive anyway don’t we go through enough? Guess not! Good Luck and Take Care,
Sheila

michael,
best of luck with finding a drug therapy thats works well for you…unfortunatley…it can take a bit of time and alots of trail and error…i have tried many anti siezure meds over the years including dilantin, benzos and tegrotol ehich all were found to be unsuccessful…it wasnt until i started a mix of tegrotol and topamax topamax together that my siezures finally became manageable …and i have been siezure free for 16 months…hang in there you will find the right drug or como that will work for you…sending lots of positive energies your way to help you through this journey xox

Thank you very much Alice. Very good to hear that it is possible. Thank you for lifting my spirits! Healing and medicating take so long and so much money that it wears me down from time to time. Hearing positive feedback is very inspiring, thank you.

-Bryon Michael

Alicia said:

michael,
best of luck with finding a drug therapy thats works well for you…unfortunatley…it can take a bit of time and alots of trail and error…i have tried many anti siezure meds over the years including dilantin, benzos and tegrotol ehich all were found to be unsuccessful…it wasnt until i started a mix of tegrotol and topamax topamax together that my siezures finally became manageable …and i have been siezure free for 16 months…hang in there you will find the right drug or como that will work for you…sending lots of positive energies your way to help you through this journey xox

Posted this on the wrong discussion oops, but anyway here it is. I found another site to get a discount card on meds. www.pharmacydiscountnetwork.com. You can save up to 75% and anyone can get a card plus it says they must honor the card. Best part is you can use it at CVS and Walgreens.