Tegretol seziure meds

Hi everyone,My doc just changed my meds from topamax ,ive had no problems except that O cant gaon any weight,,,to skinny,,to tegretol he just started me yesterday with 100mg three times a day..anyone evr take this and any problems I should know of??? I was reading the side effecks and im like,,wowo,,yuck!!!!!!!!!! lol if you get a chance can you post!! thanks a bunccch!! Caroline

Hi Caroline
I have recently changed from Tegretol to Keppra. The Tegretol did not agree with me at all. I was off my tree all the time, got pimples which I have never had, and I could not get a high enough level in my system for the neurologist to be happy. I hate taking any medication, but the Keppra seems to be agreeing with my body more.

Hi. I’ve been on Tegretol, Topomax, Baclofen, Tizanedene, Keppra, And now Lyrica (!) along with Tylenol #4 (not #3) for years. No grand mal seizures ever. Just ‘sleepy’ seizures that make me wonder if I’m passing out or passing away… You know? Sometimes they give me stuff and don’t tell me why. It’s been going on soooo long that I don’t even ask anymore. Good luck to everyone! I’ve had mine a long time now.

Thanks for the reply guys,helps so much,just hate to start something im worried about,I did so well on the topamax,and now for no reasonmhe changes my topamax to this and upped it to 300mg.from 100mg three times a day…yuck,have not started it yet! i will just getting my chicken self up to it,heheh and wanted to hear some posted on this stuff and may even ask him to change it to keppra ,I hear good stuff about this one,so will see !! again thank you all and sleep well,its late and my bed time…zzzzzzzzzzzzzz…xxoo nite nite

Thanks Jason for your reply,ive not started it yet ,im just waiting myself,hope you feel better and this side effect passes,how much did your doctor start you on,mine wants me on 100 mg 3 times a day…

yeah,that is high, i was concerned with 100mg three times a day!!!do you think you will stay with it or maybe change? or see if after time yourbody will adjust? im just worried as you can see aboutmthis one medicine,read to much about it and am looking to have it changed ,well maybe,will see…:0)

Jason Eppert said:

200mg 3 times a day. everything else I’ve been on is always low at first so he just started me high on this one.

Caroline said:
Thanks Jason for your reply,ive not started it yet ,im just waiting myself,hope you feel better and this side effect passes,how much did your doctor start you on,mine wants me on 100 mg 3 times a day…

year almost three now with the gamma my avm started out 33mm its now 27 mm seems very slow going…may have to get another dose of gamma…hoping not!!!yuck,heheh hated the halo,didnt look good on me heheheh

Hi Caroline, I know it's been a while, but how did you fair on this? I am now being changed from topamax to Tegretol also...

I had a massive seisure on topamax alone and open brain surgery after for my life ,my doc put me on it for a few months I’m back on juzt topamax again (( now)) doing great!

I'm glad to hear you are doing great :) How did you fair on the tegretol?

Hi, Caroline! I was switched from Zonegran (which was working great, except for the fact that it was causing kidney stones!) to Keppra in September. I had terrible side effects with the Keppra, so a few weeks later, my neuro switched me to Tegretol. She started me with 200 mg twice a day the first week, then doubled it the 2nd week,and then went to 300 mg twice daily the 3rd week, with a plan of increasing it to 400 mg twice a day from th fourth week on. It was too much for me. Sleeping all the time,increased headaches,lethargic, etc. She put me back`to 200 mg twice a day. I had a lot more energy before being taking off the Zonegran. I'm still tired a lot, moody, and have lost more use of my left hand. I'm not sure if it's because of the medication switch or the AVM itself. This probably wasn't much help...sorry!