Thoughts on the radiotherapy please

I have a small avm in my brain. Can’t operate with the knife because it’s to deep but I don’t want to just leave it because I want to see my girl grow up :frowning:

Probably the least risky way of treatment for an AVM. Recovery from the treatment is almost instant. Downside is it takes a long time to obliterate.

Is embolization out for a treatment?

Ron, KS.

Your picture is gorgeous!!! The Gamma Knife is perfect for non-operable AVM's. I had my GK when my little girl was 3 years old. She's 21 now and I have enjoyed every second with her. My AVM was pretty large, and was obliterated in about 4 years. If yours is small, maybe it won't take so long! The actual procedure is done in a day. You may have to stay overnight in the hospital, but I only took a few days off work. Good luck to you!

Kristin

Gamma Knife “surgery” is an absolutely amazing non-invasive procedure with little to no recovery. You can most likely maintain your job, spending time with your daughter and your lifestyle throughout the next couple of years while the Gamma Knife works its magic. If all goes well your AVM will be gone within three years. I highly recommend it.

Hi I had 2 embos and gamma knife 1 time and i have to say it was super easy!!! The only downside to gamma knife is it takes awhile to see results .A year after I had gamma knife there were results and that was the best news ever!! Good luck & keep us posted;)

Hi my name is Jim in 98 I was told my avm was to deep to operate. I was referred to a Dr. who had preformed procedure called X knife, now called Gamma knife. After 10 yrs it is gone, but now I have a lot of memory problems. Now my fight is with Ins company.

oh wow gamma knife is sounding pretty good right now… I will have to speak to my surgeon about it… For some reason he doesnt want to talk to me about surgery for it and i dont know why…

yes it is ron, it is to far in mixed with lots of nerves or something…

Ron, KS said:

Probably the least risky way of treatment for an AVM. Recovery from the treatment is almost instant. Downside is it takes a long time to obliterate.

Is embolization out for a treatment?

Ron, KS.

Thanks for the compliment Kristin :smiley:

Kristin Schafer said:

Your picture is gorgeous!!! The Gamma Knife is perfect for non-operable AVM's. I had my GK when my little girl was 3 years old. She's 21 now and I have enjoyed every second with her. My AVM was pretty large, and was obliterated in about 4 years. If yours is small, maybe it won't take so long! The actual procedure is done in a day. You may have to stay overnight in the hospital, but I only took a few days off work. Good luck to you!

Kristin

Letiesha,...

Here is a link to a very well written "blog" from my fellow moderator and friend Hanne.

http://www.avmsurvivors.org/forum/topics/photons-vs-protons

I hope this helps,...

William

Letiesha,...

Apologies for the above incorrect "link", please try this one.

http://www.avmsurvivors.org/forum/topics/photons-vs-protons-whats-the

Thank you William :)
I could not open the link so, here is a direct link to the discussion

http://www.avmsurvivors.org/forum/topics/photons-vs-protons-whats-the

Good luck with whatever option you choose Letiesha!
Positive thoughts from Hanne xxx

Hello Elizabeth,
I hope you could add me as a friend, I may go for radiation with Dr. Rasmussen, I would like to get some advice from you. Thanks

things can change. 20 years ago iw as told i could not have any treatment, it was not possible. 12 years later on, things have improved, and since then ive had 2 doses of GKR, which has removed 90%. Not all of it, but a bit peice!

Anyway, what can u about it? U just have to like it or lump it, and just wait. So enjoy the day while u are still ok, thats what i always thought........