Two Months Post - Op

My husband Norman was diagnosed without ever having a bleed and had his crainitomy on Oct 4th to remove the AVM. As far as pain, headaches, etc. he only took two pain pills after we came home so the pain aspect has been wonderful considering he went through bottles of Excedrin for years prior to the sugery.

The operation has left him with one quarter of the bottom right periphial vision in both eyes gone. One Dr. says it will go away, another says it is permanent. He compares the vision loss to a "strobe" effect where things are there, disappear and then reappear. He is still not driving because the strobing makes him nauseous...he has fallen (once from the back porch) on three separate occasions because he just doesn't see things and misses a step or trips over things. He is pretty good navigating around the house but if he gets in crowded public places he has real issues because of the vision loss.

Has anyone else dealt with this type of issue? Any tips or tricks that he can use to help him to "navigate" and work better with the vision loss?

Thank you all! Joanna

Hello Joanna and Norman .
It is still such a short time since the surgery that things are still healing/changing/adjusting , yes ? We never know for certain what is or is not permanent .
The eyes have it …and any deficit can make us shy and withdrawn because not seeing what we once saw is confusing on every level . So what to do ?? DO everything -with a spotter of course . Walk to and from the same places you knew before . Play the same sports/board games/card games/crossword puzzles …whatever you did …DO it . Sounds easy but is not easy , I know that . There is something about incorporating the old " stuff " in to a new manner of doing that can lead to new " stuff " replacing what we can not yet do .
Playing catch , walking with your eyes closed , dancing , walking , basket ball , soccer , jigsaw puzzles , DRAWING or painting , writing with pen and paper …reading your favorite book…all of these tasks are helpful exercises for body , mind and heart because they are visual tasks and assist us in healing and adjusting to the new way we see .
To do only what as much as does not cause us pain or frustration is the key …one sucessful task spurs us on to the next . One not so sucessful task SHOULD NOT stop us from taking a breath and trying again .
Every time someone or something ( including my own hand POPS in to my right visual field from my left side - seemingly out of nowhere - I still gasp …and then I laugh because it is not so frightening anymore . I try to keep scanning which is wearying because I look left so often I get a cramp in my neck…and then I might miss what is on the right side , OY !! However a smile or excuse me works if I bump a person and a pat on my own head when I bruise myself works with my own self .
I do not drive because nothing left of center exists for me ( as yet …) however driving simulaters can be beneficial as can other arcade/computer games .
I went through the Nova Vision VRT ( visual restoration program ) and for me it was beneficial . You might want to look them up on line .
There is a book on vision - the how and why we " see " that is excellent , " TOTAL VISION " by Richard S. Kavner,O.D. & Lorraine Dusky . It is an old book ( 1978 , I think ) and an easy and interesting read filled with visual exercises for everyone . Some are so much fun and funny that people with regular vision just have fun with the exercises .
Remember Norman -SPOTTERS are useful for a while after …and rest and sleep and NOT worrying about what might or might not be ( I know that sounds trite ) and WORKING on what is as it is at the time is imperative to healing .
Two months and you are up , around and falling off …was it the porch or deck step ?? GOOD WORK ! Every day is the new portal to the new tasks and we can take a fall , bump or bruise to get there , yes ?
Be good to you . Take care of you .