U.K 'V' U.S medical treatment

I have been reading over other peoples information, especailly people from the U.S as that’s where most people seem to be from, the more I’m reading the more sad I feel for people in the U.S. I am the most un organised person in the world, and for those people who are worrying about treatment and medical insurance it must be awful. I probably wouldn’t have insurance if I was in America and the thought of my son being left with his AVM untreated makes my stomach turn. Doctors are supposed to be there to make people better not to make money.

Hi Lauren…It’s the medical insurance companies in the US that cause our problems, not the doctors. The insurance companies in the US are gready! I actually spoke to my doctors the other day and he explained how the insurance company tell the doctors what they can or cannot do for their patients. My Doctor is a caring, wonderful person. He told me that their are doctors that are retiring early because they can’t take it anymore. I pray that my Doc doesn’t take early retirement because of this issue.

I don't understand how it works because I don't live in America and medical treatment in the UK is free. So does the amout of treatment depend on the policy you have? its awful. It must be really hard as a doctor to have to tell patients you cant opperate.

In the US, if you don’t have insurance, they just go to a hospital and are treated at a hospital where you can’t make a chose on the doctor you want. I had great insurance (which I paid for with my employer) when I had my brain bleed and was able to go to the best doctor in my area. In the US, if someone can’t afford insurance, they are still treated. It is very hard to explain our system.

I have to disagree at little bit. Yes doctors are supposed to help people feel better, but they are also in a profession, just like any other, and they deserve to make money. Like Louisa said, it is mostly the insurance companies that make the whole system screwed up!

Thanks Trish…I was trying to say that doctors deserve to make money. They work long and hard hours to help us. (It’s hard for me with my brain injury to say what I want to say).

Trish said:

I have to disagree at little bit. Yes doctors are supposed to help people feel better, but they are also in a profession, just like any other, and they deserve to make money. Like Louisa said, it is mostly the insurance companies that make the whole system screwed up!