Was It A Seizure?

I've only had one seizure, Grand Mal last summer. With that seizure, I was unconcicus and don't remember much about it. Today, I couldn't think, I had the largest ringing in my ears and I felt like I was going to pass out. I couldn't read enough even if I wanted to make a phone call for help. But after about 1/2 hour it went away. I took my Kepra about right before it started and I wonder if the issue stopped when the Kepra kicked in.

Was this a Seizure?

Hi Louisa,

I'm not sure that Kepra or any other long term type anti-S med can be effective with pill #1. Or any more effective 5 minutes after you take it that 5 hours. My understanding is that you build up a presence of the med, and it gets to a therapeutic level, which stops the seizures. Most anti-S meds, they have you ramp up and down in doseage. My wife and son each used several anti-S meds and none of them started right off with the recommended dosages.

Hospitals have and use a drug, or several drugs if you enter the hospital seizing. Maybe it's just a massive dose of a regular drug, I don't know.

If this event was not normal for you, I'd guess it was seizure related.

Best wishes,

ron, ks

It sounds like some sort of an event happened. Check out this website...

http://www.epilepsy.com/Epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial

When I Googled ringing in the ears and seizure...a whole bunch of sites popped up with people who had ringing in the ears

and simple partial sensory seizures.

I will be praying for you!!!!

Hi Louisa,

I suggest giving your doctor a call to talk about it. If it was indeed a seizure, the doctor will want to know that you're having a new type. Since you've never had one of these events before, it's a good idea to call rather than guess at what it might be.

JH

Louisa, Ron is right about how seizure meds work. I would like to add…Taking a seizure med on top of your regular dose can often stop a seizure from occuring. Also by the time we take our med at it’s proper time, the one we took earlier is wearing off (so to say). I believe the keppra did indeed help you. The symptoms you had seem to be one of two things: It could have been a seizure or, it could have been a sudden attack of vertigo as well. Vertigo can also be caused by lack of oxygen in an area of the brain (It’s not always from the inner ear). This happens to be another side effect of avms. Depending of course, on there location. I hope you are feeling better.

Thanks everyone…Whatever happened scared me…I slept the rest of the day and feel better today.

Wow! Quite frighteningly... reading that really hit home. Particularly the abnormal movements such as jerking of a finger or stiffening of part of the body, weakness, which can even affect speech, and coordinated actions such as laughter or automatic hand movements, smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, seeing light spots that aren't there, pins and needles and numbness, unpleasant sensations in the stomach, chest, or head, changes in the heart rate or breathing, sweating, problems with memory, garbled speech, an inability to find the right word, or trouble understanding spoken or written language, and feeling as though they are outside their body.

I have been experiancing all these things for some time now, mine usually start with the strange sensation that goes through my whole body, then I feel like I'm out of my body, I can sometimes get a spot of light that obscurs my vision and if, for example, I look at my hand in a certain position, it's not there! It just vanishes! Other times it will be the ringing in my ears, the numbness, the fast heart rate, hot flushes, severe brain fog.... but they always end with my body jerking.

I always assummed it was all a part of autonomic dysfunction, which I have been tested for and am waiting for results, I have the appointment in April. I think I may ask about partial seizures after reading this!

Barbara H. said:

It sounds like some sort of an event happened. Check out this website...

http://www.epilepsy.com/Epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial

When I Googled ringing in the ears and seizure...a whole bunch of sites popped up with people who had ringing in the ears

and simple partial sensory seizures.

I will be praying for you!!!!

Hi Louisa,
I experienced petit mal seizures, loss of co-ordination in my arms and legs and speech, and was fully awake for the last one which was 2 hours long!!
I would recommend that you see your doctor because there is a change for you. After being on meds for 5 years, my seizures stopped, I was lucky. I hope medication proves just as effective for you. (I was on Carbamazepine, also known as Tegretol, and it was very effective.)
Good luck.

Dearest Louisa, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that today. I had a few

grand Mals after coming out of the coma, but I don't remember any of it.

Ring your doctor my friend; I think that any type of change we fell, needs checking.

My thoughts and prayers are with you more so than usual.xx

Louisa,

I am currently on Keppra as well (up to 3000 mg a day). A little backround - I had my first seizure last February 2010 it was a grand mal seizure and I was unconscious for 2 hours. The doctors put me immediately on 1000 mg. of Keppra per day. I had to stay overnight in the hospital for testing the next day. I found out that I had an AVM in my brain (I don't remember the exact location). My neurologist told me he couldn't be for sure that this was the cause for my seizure as my EEG reading came back normal. A month and a half later I experienced another grand mal seizure, was only out of it for about 45 minutes. I went to the hospital and they increased my dosage to 2000 mg per day. I went almost 9 months seizure free but just experienced a partial episode last month. Two weeks ago I went in for testing in the EMU (Epilepsy Monitoring Unit). I was taking off my seizure meds completely and had 3 small partial episodes while I was in there, hooked up to an EEG. The doctors were able to confirm that my AVM was causing my seizures. I actually go in tomorrow to meet with the head neurosurgeon to set up an appointment for surgery.

For all of my episodes I experienced an abnormal feeling throughout my body. I would get a severe migraines and did not feel well, almost like i was going to vomit but didn't. I also would see abnormal flashing lights out of my peripheral vision (the flashing lights were not really there and hurt my eyes). I had a warning that something was going to happen about 10-15 minutes before I lost consciousness. My most recent one (before testing) I did not lose consciousness but still had that abnormal feeling, like my brain wasn’t processing what I was doing. I was with my boyfriend at the time and he started to ask me simple questions. After going to the ER the last time I did ask the doctor if I feel this coming on, could I take my meds to prevent a full blackout and he said that once the episode starts that it will not matter because the neurons in your brain are already out of sync (sorry it is kind of hard to explain). When I was in for testing and had my episodes, the nurses were able to tell something was happening (as I was hooked up to an EEG 24/7), they would come in and ask me a ton of questions (i.e. – where I was, why I was there, simple math problems 2+2, 12*3; etc.) this seemed to keep the episodes less severe and they were not full grand mal seizures. I was also able to function afterwards and the headaches were not as severe as my grand mal seizures, where all I could do afterwards was sleep because I had a really bad migraine and my eyes hurt.

I hope this helps! Good luck to you.

Amanda

Thank you Amanda. I truly appreciate your response. Question…did you mean that when the nurses asked you the questions…it stopped the feeling that you were going to have a seizure? Is it because having to think to answer the questions, stops the brain from having a seizure?

Amanda said:

Louisa,

I am currently on Keppra as well (up to 3000 mg a day). A little backround - I had my first seizure last February 2010 it was a grand mal seizure and I was unconscious for 2 hours. The doctors put me immediately on 1000 mg. of Keppra per day. I had to stay overnight in the hospital for testing the next day. I found out that I had an AVM in my brain (I don't remember the exact location). My neurologist told me he couldn't be for sure that this was the cause for my seizure as my EEG reading came back normal. A month and a half later I experienced another grand mal seizure, was only out of it for about 45 minutes. I went to the hospital and they increased my dosage to 2000 mg per day. I went almost 9 months seizure free but just experienced a partial episode last month. Two weeks ago I went in for testing in the EMU (Epilepsy Monitoring Unit). I was taking off my seizure meds completely and had 3 small partial episodes while I was in there, hooked up to an EEG. The doctors were able to confirm that my AVM was causing my seizures. I actually go in tomorrow to meet with the head neurosurgeon to set up an appointment for surgery.

For all of my episodes I experienced an abnormal feeling throughout my body. I would get a severe migraines and did not feel well, almost like i was going to vomit but didn't. I also would see abnormal flashing lights out of my peripheral vision (the flashing lights were not really there and hurt my eyes). I had a warning that something was going to happen about 10-15 minutes before I lost consciousness. My most recent one (before testing) I did not lose consciousness but still had that abnormal feeling, like my brain wasn’t processing what I was doing. I was with my boyfriend at the time and he started to ask me simple questions. After going to the ER the last time I did ask the doctor if I feel this coming on, could I take my meds to prevent a full blackout and he said that once the episode starts that it will not matter because the neurons in your brain are already out of sync (sorry it is kind of hard to explain). When I was in for testing and had my episodes, the nurses were able to tell something was happening (as I was hooked up to an EEG 24/7), they would come in and ask me a ton of questions (i.e. – where I was, why I was there, simple math problems 2+2, 12*3; etc.) this seemed to keep the episodes less severe and they were not full grand mal seizures. I was also able to function afterwards and the headaches were not as severe as my grand mal seizures, where all I could do afterwards was sleep because I had a really bad migraine and my eyes hurt.

I hope this helps! Good luck to you.

Amanda