Weight Gain

Has anyone else had a lot of trouble with weight gain after surgery? I am not sure if it is all the medications or what. but with in the first month after having surgery I gained 16 pounds. It doesn’t seem to matter what I eat and my eating habits have improved SOOO much you would think I am a health freak when it comes to what I put into my body. I work out and eat right but it doesnt seem to matter. Anyone else have this problem…before surgery I was 124 and now I am about 155!!! of course diet pills are out of the question because who would want to do that to themselves. Any other ideas or successes with loosing weight that could be caused by medications?

It could very well be the medication. The month after I started steroids I gained 15 lbs in one month. I lost the weight after finishing the medication. Talk to a nurse at your doctor’s office. She’ll be able to tell you what side effects normally are or ask the doctor and call you back.

Ben

Brittany-
Yes, I gained weight. I think it was more from 6 months of relative inactivity, though. Once I was past that, I went on a homepathic diet and started yoga. Lost 20 pounds.

Its d meds… hahahah… its happening to me… i dont noe how much i weight now… because of weighing scale syndrom… hahaha… ya… like wat had been said… exercise softly… is there such a term? unknown of lost or gain weight yet :slight_smile:

no actually the opposite happened with me weight loss and a diffuctly in gaining the 20 pounds back

I’m not sure which prescriptions you take, but some do cause weight gain. Personally, Depakote did me in when it came to weight gain. When I hit my stride dosage-wise, I gained 25-30 pounds in a matter of 6-8 weeks then continued to gain small amounts after that. My neuro said that some prescrips, specifically Depakote, essentially turn off that part of your brain that tells you when you’re full so you just eat and eat when you don’t need to and don’t even realize it. It’s been about a month now since I stopped taking Depakote and switched to Keppra, which does not have that side effect and have lost about 8 pounds already.