What do you do when you have a headache?

I want to know what people do when they have a headache. I get an ice-pack and lay down and sleep/rest. I want to know what you do to make you feel better and others too.

I try to sleep. Also, I found if I take my painkillers (fioricet, which is acetaminophen and caffeine) when i first wake up the headache doesnt get so bad, but if I dont take them right away, they wont work as well

No pain pills really help the headaches that I get, so, I will usually go and lay down, and I make sure that the room is absolutely quiet and as dark as possible. Resting like that, or even taking a little nap usually helps me with them.

My doc recently gave me muscle relaxers. He said the headaches are tension headaches and are a result of the craniotomy…the muscle relaxers work great

mary kate said:

I try to sleep. Also, I found if I take my painkillers (fioricet, which is acetaminophen and caffeine) when i first wake up the headache doesnt get so bad, but if I dont take them right away, they wont work as well

i also sleep rest

Gabriel, I am so sorry to hear you are having bad headaches. I have had 3 avm’s and I experienced horrible headaches before my craniotomy in December. I also found the muscle relaxer to be the best relief, however, that made me quite sleepy so I tried to only take them at night to help me sleep. The other thing that helped was trying to stay ahead of one before it got really painful. I would try to take several short naps during the day and that really helped along with alternating Tylenol and Advil every 4-6 hours. I hope this might help. Take care!

I usually try to get ahead of mine with Imitrex + naproxen [also marketed in combination as Treximet]. If it gets bad enough, an ice pack really helps.

I get headaches but what I live with 95% of the time is like a poker taken out of the fire and stuck into my left temple. Depending on the day it varies from red hot to white hot (the worst). Nothing has gotten rid of it. I made the mistake of taking tylenol with codeine a few years ago and increasing and increasing the amount until I was taking one whole day’s worth at least every 4 hours and did nothing for the pain in my head. I smartened up and have just about reached the total cut off stage. My kidneys etc. should have been dead but I guess I was lucky because I drink so much water that at this point in time they are okay. I could of course take something heavy duty but I don’t touch it as I wouldn’t be able to work. What is real funny though is that on days that it is really bad, my puppy comes and won’t stop licking my left temple and my left eye. So there I am with a 100 lb monster insisting to lick no matter what I do. He does it when I am going to seize in the near future too. It is funny also because one of his two “older brothers” that he never met did the same thing. The kissess are the best medicine for something that rarely leaves - it is good for the heart and soul and takes your mind off of it some because of the laughter it brings by his absolute insistence of his doing it.
Sorry, no help, just a true story to bring you a laugh maybe. The pain I live with.

1 Like

Aawwww. What a nice, caring doggy! It’s amazing how they know, isn’t it?

This sounds exactly like the headaches I get. I describe them as an icepick thru my left eye. Then it feels like a “brain freeze” that won’t go away. The pain is always localized on the left. Sometimes they are preceded by a bright light (like the afterimage from looking at the sun) that can last up to half an hour. You haven’t found anything that works to help?

Laine Hudson said:

I get headaches but what I live with 95% of the time is like a poker taken out of the fire and stuck into my left temple. Depending on the day it varies from red hot to white hot (the worst). Nothing has gotten rid of it. I made the mistake of taking tylenol with codeine a few years ago and increasing and increasing the amount until I was taking one whole day’s worth at least every 4 hours and did nothing for the pain in my head. I smartened up and have just about reached the total cut off stage. My kidneys etc. should have been dead but I guess I was lucky because I drink so much water that at this point in time they are okay. I could of course take something heavy duty but I don’t touch it as I wouldn’t be able to work. What is real funny though is that on days that it is really bad, my puppy comes and won’t stop licking my left temple and my left eye. So there I am with a 100 lb monster insisting to lick no matter what I do. He does it when I am going to seize in the near future too. It is funny also because one of his two “older brothers” that he never met did the same thing. The kissess are the best medicine for something that rarely leaves - it is good for the heart and soul and takes your mind off of it some because of the laughter it brings by his absolute insistence of his doing it. Sorry, no help, just a true story to bring you a laugh maybe. The pain I live with.

How long have you been getting head aches. I did an internet study on crainiotomy surgeries and chronic head aches and 30% of us suffer from them. The good news is there is a lot of non narcotic therapy that works if that is what you are started on. I have been dealing with my headaches for the first 5 years and then the last two, i was wondering if there was a surgery to make the bone flap more flush because my screws are literally loose

I am getting headaches at the base of my skull anyone experience that? It started immediately after the first treatment when they tried to glue my spinal AVM closed (T3 to C3) then they found another feeder and went back in four month slate rand glued again and said it closed. Still getting headaches. I used Tylenol 3 little to no relief and Midrin same relief. Vicodin x2 puts me out and when I wak eup I am usually pretty good but if I move my head around or turn my neck then the game is on. Getting really desperate the Intervemtional Radiologist is pretty much done with me and the Neurologist and Neurosurgeon are blowing me off or at least it seem slike it as is my Primary Care doc.