What happened to you after your embolizations?

They did the embolizations on the right and were concerned of headaches, etc on the right. However, most of my “hurt” is on the left. Headaches, and sharp pain in my face. Is this normal? Sometimes the headaches are so bad, I can’t sleep at night.

Welcome Pamela,

A lot of folks here have had embolizations, including my wife. Generally, the symptoms you are describing could occur with any embo–your brain has been tweeked pretty hard. But any time you have long uncontrolled pain, especially where you can’t sleep or are incapacitated during the day, warrants a trip or at least a call to your surgery team in my opinion. Incredibly bad headaches can be a sign of a bled, so they shouldn’t be ignored.

My wife had headaches following embos for a few days. Rest and medication seemed to help.

Hope this helps.
Ron, KS

I personally think my embo was worse than the crainiotomy! I almost think it is because it makes such a big change in the blood flow. It has been flowing the wrong way since our beginnings and when it is made to change it freaks out. I couldn’t stand light my headache make me puke and had an all around nasty feeling in my whole self. I hope the after effects subside quickly for you!

Thanks, Ron. I did talk to my NS this a.m. and he suggested motrin which was SUPER!

A lot of folks here have had embolizations, including my wife. Generally, the symptoms you are describing could occur with any embo–your brain has been tweeked pretty hard. But any time you have long uncontrolled pain, especially where you can’t sleep or are incapacitated during the day, warrants a trip or at least a call to your surgery team in my opinion. Incredibly bad headaches can be a sign of a bled, so they shouldn’t be ignored.

My wife had headaches following embos for a few days. Rest and medication seemed to help.

Hope this helps.

Ron, KS

Thanks, Jamie. I got some motrin and it is working great! I don’t think they are doing the craniotomy now, but spot radiation after the mid of Jan.

Yah my pain was more on the right side when my AVM was on the left. I also thought it was weird. But now it’s mostly a dull ache on the left side now after almost 3 months… Hopefully it’s just the change in blood flow!!

Thanks, Nicole.