Withdraw meds

I need help with withdrawing of Keppra. I know it’s better to withdraw by 250mg, but for how long weeks? or days? I had sezure once, 3 years ago.
I can’t talk to the doctor, I hope to hear some advices or experiences

thanks

I am also on keppra, and only had one sezure once when my brian swelled after the sugery are you still using it because they said they would maybe take me off next month even though I have 2 more avms discovered. hope you are doing well

also curious what is there reasoning for keeping you on it and what problems you are having?

just one more question I am taking 500mgs twice a day is that a lot. and I have heard that if you miss or stop taking it can cause seizures is that true, I am seeing my neuro surgeon next month if you want me to ask him anything sorry to keep bothering you

Nea is also taking Keppra and her doctor recommended she continue taking it for 6 months even though he believes her seizure was caused by the AVM which has been redacted (we hope). After 6 months we will go on a reduction schedule with the plan that in another 6 months she’ll be totally off it (assuming no seizures).

the reason for keeping me on Keppra is that I still have a scar on my vein. But I hear people stop taking meds and nothing happened with them.

500mg 2s a day is not a lot. missing a dose is fine. but stopping meds might be a problem.
Blake TImmons said:

just one more question I am taking 500mgs twice a day is that a lot. and I have heard that if you miss or stop taking it can cause seizures is that true, I am seeing my neuro surgeon next month if you want me to ask him anything sorry to keep bothering you

so withdrawing is going to take 6 months?

Nea’s Mom said:

Nea is also taking Keppra and her doctor recommended she continue taking it for 6 months even though he believes her seizure was caused by the AVM which has been redacted (we hope). After 6 months we will go on a reduction schedule with the plan that in another 6 months she’ll be totally off it (assuming no seizures).

I am on 2,000mg of the extended release of Keppra…and didnt have my first seizure til after my first surgery. Now I have them pretty often and am told I can’t stop taking them. Withdrawing from Keppra can be done SEVERAL ways…you honestly NEED to talk to your doctor about this and please dont just stop taking it or reducing it on your own. Let me tell you seizures are not fun and even if you did have your last one 3 years ago it doesn’t matter. You have had them before which means you are more likely than someone that has never had them, to have another. Always go with what your doctors says even if you dont want to have to depend on the meds. This is something I have been dealing with for a while now and I know i jsut need to keep taking them.
Blake, My neurologist says that they highest and safest dose is 2,500mg a day…but that could also change because every doctor has a different opinion.
I switched from Keppra to Dilantin once for about 2 months and it was horrible I had seizures like every day…my body couldn’t handle the switch and luckily I was able to switch back to Keppra and now I am almost 7 months pregnant and they say it is even safe to take during pregnancy. So that is another plus for keppra. Oh and keppra has also treated another symptom I have had for about 6 years…and that was nausea. Every doctor I have talked to says it has nothing to do with it…But I am POSITIVE that the keppra helps with it. :slight_smile:

I had a seizure only once and it was when my AVM was discovered (3.5 years ago).

Brittany said:

I am on 2,000mg of the extended release of Keppra…