Would like to start a local awareness event... anyone have tips?

Perhaps I’m biting off more than I can chew here… but I’d really be interested in starting an event in my area to raise awareness and fundraise for research into AVMs and related disorders. Be it a walk or a gathering or a… something. The only event to go on recently was an Epilepsy Stroll which I didn’t even hear about until after it happened, wasn’t very publisized, and happened inside a local mall. We do have some major ‘walks’ and ‘races’ go on here in town though and I’d love to see something happen.
I am not sure the route to take to get this ball rolling or all the legal issues regarding collecting money for a non-profit. I do have marketing background and the like. Does anyone have experience with anything like this and could give me a couple general tips on where to begin.

Maybe you should talk to the person who started the AVM walk in San Francisco. I’m not sure who start it,
I haven’t checked out the site because it’s too far.

Peace,
Ameenah

Hi Beth! That is great that you are thinking about this. I will be starting an awareness walk in PA in 2010 and I know several other people are thinking about doing the same in thier home town.

Please check out this link as it is the first place to start! Good luck!

http://www.aneurysmfoundation.org/gi_host.html

This is a great idea. You don’t have to start a non-profit to raise money for a non-profit. Ask the folks at the Aneurysm Foundation to help get you started.