A Classic Picture of Myself and my Hobby

I had a sudden urge to share this photo of myself. I used this for my academic profile and it caught a lot of attention from my colleagues. This is from February of 2019 in central Florida. This is my main hobby; 7.5 gauge live steam trains. The locomotive is a Southern 4-6-2 that belongs to my friend Pete, but I own 3 other steam locomotives myself. I have been working on number 4 for a long time. It runs just like the prototype; it has a fire that boils water and uses steam to move the cylinders to turn the wheels. Even has a whistle! I don’t really like the smell of coal, so this locomotive burns propane. A quick trip to home depot for two tanks and we spend a day playing pretend. Since my rupture, I haven’t been out to run any trains and I miss it dearly. I am hoping to get back to it very soon!
Kev

7 Likes

Hi Kev, I like the pic. Coincidentally, I went to a concert at McCormick-Stillman park here in Scottsdale. They have a train that makes concerts really fun and us adults love them. Check out the park online. Best wishes, Greg

1 Like

I know the exact park! That’s where the Scottsdale Live Steamers are. They have the same sized locomotives as the one’s I own. Of course, there are the larger 15 inch gauge locomotives there as well. There’s a few railroads in this hobby in Arizona, and I’d like to get out to see them one day. Hopefully, the progressing in my treatment will make this possible.

Kevin, That’d be great and if you wanted some company, I’d go out there any time. Hope you are doing as well as can be expected or even better. Greg

That looks awesome!! What a fun hobby. Hopefully you’ll be back on the tracks soon :steam_locomotive:

Sounds like a plan, Greg! If I ever make it out that way, I’ll be sure to look you up!

Thanks, Nicholas!
A friend has been encouraging to get me back to working and has offered to spend a few days helping me. I’m hoping with my year off academia coming up, I’ll be spending a little time on the tracks!

2 Likes

Hi Kev, This is truly good news! Best wishes, Greg

1 Like