A quick question

Do any of you that have AVM's in the brain, close to your scalp, have issues with your hair falling out or going grey?

I am only 36 and this has been an issue for a few years now and wondered if it's linked, as the grey hair is only in the area of my head where the AVM is close to my scalp.

Do you take a sezuire med? I believe the med I take has caused my hair loss. My daughter is only 32 and she has grey hair, and doesn’t have an AVM. It’s generic, I believe.

Sorry Lena, I don’t. I do know some meds can promote grey hair but, I don’t know which ones.

Hi Lena I’m a hair dresser and the AVM shouldn’t cause hair loss or grey hair but you medication will cause hair loss…Not everyone realizes that everything we put into our body affects your hair.Gey hair is usually genitic look at you family memebers and ask when they started to go grey.Check your medication side affects about the hair loss…There is a product called Nioxin ask you stylist about it or how to get it.It comes in normal and color treated…It doesn’t promise the regrowth of hair but it stops the loss of it.I had a similar problem after my 2nd embolization my hair was thinning badly and my hair is fine and thin to begin with.I started using Nioxin and it did stop the hair loss…Talk to your doctors and hair stylist they may be able to give you some more advice but I would try to get Nioxin it helped me.Good Luck;)

I heard genetics have a lot to do with grey hair. My maternal grandmother's hair turned grey in her early 30s. Thank you Eileen for the tip on Nioxin. I bet there are a lot of women on here that have had hair loss.

I don't take any medication! I am meant to.... but it doesn't work, I think I've exhausted the doctors list... and they have side effects I don't want... so I figured, whats the point???

I have tried co-codomol, diclofenac, meloxicam, naproxen, tramadol, ammitriptyline, mertazapine and gabepentin, to name a few.... but nothing takes the pain away... (this is pain from the EDS, not the AVM).

I'm not on any meds for the AVM as it hasn't bled yet and although I jerk like a demented jerky thing, I am lucky in that I have not had a seizure.

My dad went grey in his mid 40's... mums not grey now at 60... my brother is 40 and no grey... I'm 36...

The thought just crossed my mind as I looked in the mirror this morning and realised the grey area is exactly where my AVM is....

Maybe it's all I've been through... they say kids can make you grey! Well mine have certainly put me through the mill!!!!

I will bare the Nioxin in mind, thanks for that tip... thankfully i did have very thick hair, so now it just looks normal! If I loose much more though it may start to show, the only tell tale signs at the mo are the plugholes when I wash it, the pillow when I wake up, my shoulders and back if I wear black (I'm blonde so the hairs really show) or occassionally in my dinner... eeuw!!!

If anyone knows a hair colour that REALLY covers 100% grey, please tell me! I've worked my way along the shelves and I've yet to find one!

Most hair color bought in stores(nice &easy. . etc) are not really strong enough for resistant grey.The salon I work at uses a brand called Matrix socolor & they have a grey buster series & they also put out a new line called dream age which is for your age group & looks very natural,the blondes in that line are beautifull but you will only find matrix color in salons.I wish I could be more help;) Good Luck

Thanks, I will ask the next time I go to mine. :wink:

Eileen Beyer said:

Most hair color bought in stores(nice &easy. . etc) are not really strong enough for resistant grey.The salon I work at uses a brand called Matrix socolor & they have a grey buster series & they also put out a new line called dream age which is for your age group & looks very natural,the blondes in that line are beautifull but you will only find matrix color in salons.I wish I could be more help;) Good Luck