AVM treatment average costs

My daughter’s angiogram ran $26,000, granted that was for a 10 year old with general anesthesia, so that is more than the average adult, but I was still surprised at it being that much!

WOW!! I have just started treatment and have only recieved the bill for my 4 day hospital stay when my AVM was first discovered and it was $58,000!! This does not include doctors, office visits, MRIs or CT scans. I had my first embo on Dec. 7th so still waiting on that bill, but honestly I don’t care what it costs to rid myself of this!

Welcome Jamie to the exciting and unpredictable world of AVM’s

Jamie Pantelis said:

WOW!! I have just started treatment and have only recieved the bill for my 4 day hospital stay when my AVM was first discovered and it was $58,000!! This does not include doctors, office visits, MRIs or CT scans. I had my first embo on Dec. 7th so still waiting on that bill, but honestly I don’t care what it costs to rid myself of this!

The reason my angiogram was $23,000.00 was the Government is paying the bill. Then they might have negotiated a lower price with the hospital and doctor since there will be follow on treatment as long as I live.

Susan Troop (Lindsey’s Mom) said:

My daughter’s angiogram ran $26,000, granted that was for a 10 year old with general anesthesia, so that is more than the average adult, but I was still surprised at it being that much!

Funny thing…checked my mail after reading this and there was the bill for my embo and for just the hospital charges were $154,561. I wonder how much the docs will be. I hope my insurance pays a good portion of it! And yes this AVM junk is very exciting and unpredictable!

Dewey M Reynolds said:

Welcome Jamie to the exciting and unpredictable world of AVM’s

Jamie Pantelis said:

Gamma Knife procedure at Kirklin Clinic at UAB Hospital in Birmingham, AL totaled around $140k so far.

I am glad I do not need to worry about insurance or expenses,
on top off AVM worries, since it is all free here in Norway, those figures are frightening!!

What happens to people without insurance in USA?

Hi Dewey - I have had 2 angio’s with multiple embolizations each time, and a craniotomy to remove an avm. I was in the hospital overnight both times for the embo’s, and a week in ICU for the craniotomy. All these procedures were within the last 11 months, so the response time to my diagnosis has been very very good. Luckily I live in Ontario Canada and our health care is 100% covered through our government run insurance plan. The surgeons and medical team that have helped me are world class and many head up teams that are internationally recognized for their research and innovation.
I cannot imagine what it would have been like to worry about all the uncertainty and anxiety of this condition and treatment on top of having to worry about the costs and whether I could afford to pay for what was required.
Don’t believe what you have heard about our system - Canada’s health care is wonderful. I hope and pray that quality health care in the United States is soon available to everyone! /pat

That’s great not having to worry about having to pay for treatment.I am more or less in the same boat in that I am a disabled veteran and the AVM was a result of head trauma while in the military. They call it a dura AVM fistula. I have had three embolizations so far, with the latest one being day before yesterday. My doctor has now referred me over to the gamma knife people.

Patricia Duguay said:

Hi Dewey - I have had 2 angio’s with multiple embolizations each time, and a craniotomy to remove an avm. I was in the hospital overnight both times for the embo’s, and a week in ICU for the craniotomy. All these procedures were within the last 11 months, so the response time to my diagnosis has been very very good. Luckily I live in Ontario Canada and our health care is 100% covered through our government run insurance plan. The surgeons and medical team that have helped me are world class and many head up teams that are internationally recognized for their research and innovation.
I cannot imagine what it would have been like to worry about all the uncertainty and anxiety of this condition and treatment on top of having to worry about the costs and whether I could afford to pay for what was required.
Don’t believe what you have heard about our system - Canada’s health care is wonderful. I hope and pray that quality health care in the United States is soon available to everyone! /pat