Accurate Diagnosis: Currently 3.5 of 4 stars
Bedside Manner: Currently 3.35 of 4 stars
Spends Time with Me: Currently 3.2631578947368 of 4 stars
Follows Up After Visit: Currently 3.2631578947368 of 4 stars
Average Wait: 29 minutes
Some ratings provided by DrScore.

Currently 4 of 4 stars | Father | show details
by TJ McDowell on Feb 28th, 2013
Gary Steinberg is a brilliant gifted man. He saved our sons life. Can't say any more than that except that he has great people skills to boot. A very rare wonderful guy.

Mark as Helpful Report Abuse
Currently 2.375 of 4 stars | show details
Nov 19th, 2012
This Dr. is rude rude rude rude., not to mention egotistical

Currently 3.25 of 4 stars | show details
May 10th, 2012
I had the the best experience with Dr. Steinberg and staff.I was diagnosed by neurologist in Fresno, who then referred me to Dr. Steinberg. With in 1 1/2 weeks I had my first STR-MCA surgery to the right side of my brain.. I is always a professional and kind man and he got me in to surgery right away, he feared I would have a massive stroke/ hemmorage.. I will always recommend this Dr.. he is the best for Moyamoya disease.

Currently 1.25 of 4 stars | Catastropic Right Thalamic CM surgery | show details
Apr 21st, 2012
I had right thalamus surgery 2 years back by Dr. Steinberg and have severe deficits after the surgery. This surgery should not have been recommended.

Mark as Helpful | 1 person found this helpful Report Abuse
Currently 1.625 of 4 stars | Ruined my life after doing unnecessary brain surgery | show details
Apr 20th, 2012
Please be aware. He suggests unnecessary surgery without emphasizing risks. I am much worse after brain surgery which was really not required.

Mark as Helpful | 1 person found this helpful Report Abuse
Currently 3.875 of 4 stars | Assuring from far away. | show details
Oct 14th, 2011
Dr Steinberg is assuring and his staffs are professional. I had serious depressions, anxieties and eventually suicidal for 2 years. A suspected tumor deep in the brain was thought to be the cause. Finally I was operated and though not a tumor it was excessive tissue growth that had affected me. Today, I feel 99%. I flew in from Singapore for treatment though home is next to the hospital at one time. Dr Steinberg, I thank you!

Currently 4 of 4 stars | show details
May 29th, 2011
He is #1 saves many people lives - knows what he is doing !

Currently 3.5 of 4 stars | show details
Mar 3rd, 2011
BEST DOCTOR EVER....

Currently 4 of 4 stars | show details
Jul 22nd, 2010
an amazing doctor. I saw him twice before surgery and I had no fears or hesitation.

Currently 4 of 4 stars | Dural AVM | show details
by Romeo dela Vega on Jun 28th, 2010
Life threatening advice I took regarding doing surgery. Had swishing sound 24/7, headaches due to trauma car accident that caused dural avm. After surgery and 8 years later, health in good condition.

Currently 4 of 4 stars | He's a lifesaver | show details
by Victoria on Jun 15th, 2010
Dr. Steinberg is simply the best. He was the only doctor we felt was able to handle my sister's giant arteriovenous malformation. We came out to California from Texas for treatment, and the trips have been worth it. His staff is amazing... Joli, Mary, and Theresa, in particular. We have never had to wait even a day for him to get back to us.Dr. Steinberg works closely with a number of different doctors to best treat the patient, which is better than a "one-person" approach.Not only is he a great doctor, but he is a wonderful person. He is very caring, and he is always interested in getting to know you and your family.My sister has had complications due to her disorder, but Dr. Steinberg has done everything he possibly can to help her, and he is in constant contact with her neurosurgeons back home in Texas.

Read more: http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Gary_Steinberg/reviews#ixzz2OHoqnUeL

Wow, proves once again how confused you can get reading reviews. Sounds like Steinberg is either the best or worst surgeon and/or person in the world. (grin). He operated on Chari. I found him brilliant, and for his skill/knowledge level, able to talk to us one on one. Egotistical is the last term I would use to describe him. Brilliant, yes.

Last I knew, Gary and ____ Marks (forget his first name) were co-directors of neurosurgery at Stanford. Gary was the head surgeon, Marks was the head radiologist or whatever--he did the embolizations.

You should also keep in mind that the worst of the worst cases are referred to Stanford (and other big name places). When no one else can do anything, and there is little hope, Stanford might try something. So I would expect their "success rate" to be skewed a little lower. If all you operate on is the easy/peasy ones, you should have much higher results.

Hope this helps.

Ron, KS

Likewise, Ron! :)
Dr. Steinberg has done 3 of my 4 surgeries & I rely & TRUST him & his team to review my annual MRI's, as well as his opinion(s) re: my CM management.
Unfortunately, there's always a risk with ANY surgery, let alone brain surgery.
My 4th surgery was in my R. thalamus & while I did develop very harsh deficits post-op, I shudder to think of what may have happened had I not had the surgery w/ Dr. Steinberg. Often, were in a damned-if-you-don't/or do situation & my thalamic bleed was such for me. (NO, I did NOT post the above comment re: a thalamic surgery.)
As for personality, I've NEVER met a dr. with such a kind, seemingly caring & gentle individual as Dr. Steinberg. He's human ;) & does have occasional 'bad' days...
BTW Ron, It's Dr. Michael Marks you also mentioned: http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/radiology/researcher/Michael_Marks/

Thks Patti,

I was gonna say it was Mike Marks, but I didn't wanna get it wrong.

A fine group of people. We stay in contact with Mary M (Mark's RN). It's like she and Chari are sisters.

Ron, KS

I've actually had 5 AVMs removed by Dr. Steinberg going back to 2000. The most recent one was 10 days ago on my lower brain stem, my main symptom before surgery was double vision. It was found to be 13mm and that I should be completely paralyzed from the neck down. I'm at rehab right now with improved double vision, problems swallowing, and a slight balance issue but still able to walk pretty well. My life should have been over and he has saved it - again. I should be released home in 10-12 days and plan to be back working some weeks after that. I happened to be blessed to live 30 minutes from Stanford Hospital, I was never nervous going into these surgeries. Dr. Steinberg and his staff really know what they're doing, I always felt I was in the best hands I could possibly be in and look forward to a full recovery.