Blood pressure lowering medication

Is anyone on blood pressure lowering medication since their avm bleed??

My blood pressure is naturally quite low as a healthy 17 year old female.
I don’t know if I should see a doctor to inquire further about this.

Hi @chloe1

Why are you asking?

The advice I’ve seen others being given on here regarding blood pressure (and I was told the same thing myself in the Emergency department) is to manage your blood pressure through diet and exercise: i.e. to avoid those things that spike your blood pressure but to maintain a good regimen of moderate exercise.

The things I was told to avoid were things like coffee / caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, smoking. My AVM was inducing a number of effects in me and cutting out these things actually got me into a much better place, though my AVM was developing quickly and I regressed to being poorly within a month or two! I expect yours will not be changing at the rate mine was.

I don’t remember reading of people being prescribed blood pressure meds (and there may even be a reason not to). If you know you have chronically high blood pressure, I would discuss with your GP. If you know you like any of the things above, you might avoid spiking your BP by avoiding them at least until you’ve had treatment for the AVM.

Best wishes,

Richard

3 Likes

Hi Chloe. I too would like to know about lowering blood pressure as my resting heart rate is about 25 bpm faster than normal. I am a very fit 50 year old with a low resting rate of about 55 so running along at about 80bpm is concerning for me. I am three weeks post embolization after hemorrhage of my right temporal lobe AVM. Let me know if you find anything that works for you.

Thanks
Chris

1 Like

So post ruptures (aneurysm and hemorrhagic stroke), I was on high doses of Lisinopril to lower my blood pressure. I was fainting about 4 hours after taking it as a result of my blood pressure being too low. We’ve since found a dosage split in half and taken twice a day that keeps my blood pressure in the range that makes my neurosurgeon happy but doesn’t cause me to pass out. I was told that they wanted to control the rate of blood and to not take or do things that would cause it to be higher— like Ibuprofen.

I was put on two blood pressure meds right after my stroke. Lisinopril & Amlodipine - I’m not a huge fan of Amlodipine. I asked my doctor about coming off. I managed to finally come off & keep my blood pressure in check. It took two months of dropping my dose slowly.

My BP on just Lisinopril is excellent. I’m at almost constant 135/75 or so - for me, that’s straight excellent considering I work outside most days

Even when I feel “off” my BP is just fine - I check it at home quite often