Clinical trials Efficacy of anticonvulsants

1. Ativan (Lorazepam) +sleep

2. Luminal (Phenobarbital)+sleep. also sold as Solfoton.

3. Epilog, Depakote (Sodium Valproate) - Valproic Acid

4. Lamictal (Lamotrigine) - solo or Keppra/Valporic Acid/Tegretol add-on

5. Valium (Diazepam) +sleep

6. Banzel (Rufinamide) - Lennox–Gastaut syndrome

7. Vimpat (Lacosamide)

8. Diacomit (Stiripentol) - Dravet Syndrome

9. Lyrica (Pregabalin) - add-on

10. Keppra (Leviracetam)

11. Briviact (Brivacetam)

12. Gabitril (Tiagabine)

13. Luminal (phenobarbital)

14. Zonegran (Zonisamide)

15. Topamax (Topiramate)

16. Onfi (Clobazam)

17. Neurontin (Gabapentin)

18. Mysoline (primidone)

19. EPIDIOLEX (CBD)

20. Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine) - - sodium channel blocker, can worsen for genetic

21. Aptiom (Eslicarbazepine Acetate) - also as Zebinix - - sodium channel blocker, can worsen for genetic

22. Dilantin (Phenytoin) - can worsen for genetic - sodium channel blocker

23. Tegretol (Carbamazepine) - sodium channel blocker, can worsen for genetic

3 Likes

Hi Rafa, Thanks a lot for compiling that list. Unfortunately, for me it’s a not-too-happy stroll down memory lane. I’ve had grand mals due to the scar tissue from 2 craniotomies for 49 years. I’ve been on too many of those meds and some w/ very bad results. (Keppra was the worst for me emotionally.)
I’m on Lamictal now and I had a visit w/ my neurologist yesterday. The level of control is pretty good (2-4 seizures/yr). But I’ve been experiencing hives and dizziness so we’re considering Zonisamide. Best wishes, Greg

1 Like

Hi Rafa, Probably what I’m on now, Lamictal, provides the best balance-- control/quality of life.
They used to just jack my levels of phenobarbitol up every time I had a seizure. I was like a zombie and my memory of those years is spotty at best.
You can tell I’m not a big fan of seizure meds but they’re a necessary evil for many of us. Sometimes I’m not convinced by the “science.”
I’m hoping CBD or some other natural plant/substance will prove effective and non-addictive. It definitely helps to take care of your body with exercise so that if you do have a seizure you recover from the muscular strains faster. Rafa, thanks again for caring. Best to you, Greg

Interesting! I wish Ativan was a normal thing to take for seizures but I’ve adjusted myself to not take it unless I’m veryyyy sure a seizure is coming on. I have panic attacks often that I know Ativan would calm, but I don’t want to rely on it. (It’s prescribed as needed for me btw)