Driving after stroke and baclofen

Hello you wonderful survivors!I hope everyone's having a great week so far. Friday's almost here and we will all be dancing in no time! What are some goals you've reached lately? One of the biggest goals I've reached is being able to practice driving! When I had my rupture/stroke, my license got suspended so I haven't been able to drive for about 2 1/2 years now which was a major bummer. My bf at the time who also worked as my caregiver held down the fort and drove me everywhere but now, I feel like I should gain my independence back and work on becoming an independent woman again. So, I want to ask you guys a few questions, First question being : How was it like driving after everything happened? What was the process of getting your license? Annnnns a random question about baclofen because this tone is driving me crazy!! What was your experience like using baclofen? Did it help? How did you feel? Do you recommend it?

My bleed affected my right occipital area and I loss my left peripheral vision. You needa 130 degree vision field in order to drive and I barely get 100 degrees. The loss of independence has been my biggest issue to deal with mentally. I am on keppra for beseizure prevention.

After my bleed and surgery, it took roughly 11 months to pass the tests at St. Jude hospital with a licensed driving therapist and going through the DMV process again (interview, written, vision, behind the wheel test). But it felt so good to be able to drive again. I do agree with Mike, the hardest to deal with was the lost of Independence, more so than the act of driving itself. Sorry, have no idea of what baclofen is, so no input there.

I know some states are different, but my quest to drive began with a licensed therapist who tested and approved me. It was also signed by a doctor. It was great to drive again, but I took it slowly as I’m hemiparetic (lost complete use of my left arm and use a quad cane to walk).

I’ve been on Baclofen since day one, and it’s been great for me. I tire much more quickly than in the past, but not sure if it’s the Baclofen or one of the other meds I’m on. It could also be the new norm, but I look at the bright side - I’m still alive and kicking… :slight_smile:

Since I’ve started CBD my movement has improved. I can step on or off a curb without a cane. My steps on my bad side are much better free walking. I had a cross face nerve graft and I have started feeling the new nerve endings trying to stimulate the muscles. Very excited.

So on the driving side. I never got my license taken or revoked. I just knew I shouldn’t drive. Once I was able to get around the double vision by blocking one eye, I started practicing in the neighborhood. I have pretty normal right side movement so driving has been improving. I take short drives during low traffic times less than one per week. Lately I’ve noticed I’m doing much better maintaining lane while I check mirrors or street signs. I spent a lot extra and got a newer vehicle with updated safety feature. It has mirror blind spot sensors, can monitor if I’m staying in my lane, approaching the vehicle in front of me, back up camera that maps out my path and alerts of cross traffic. Really helps. I’ve never had a seizure.

Thanks Tim and Jeremey for the help on this one, As the guys have mentioned its different state to state I guess and country to country, For me I was told by my doctor after my bleed that I couldn't drive and I had to let the DVLA (Driving authority in the UK) know. I held off on this and now wish I hadn't, Ultimately I drive everyday now, But was out of the game for a year (not too bad considering I had 2 craniotomies) They have clear laws posted on there website related to driving with medical conditions, The major issue here is that it takes sooo long to process the paperwork !, I was told I couldn't drive for 6 months, But it was just about 1 year before I finally got the OK to drive again :) . Either way its best checking with the local driving licence provider :) , Take care and after a while you'll begin to realise that driving is a nice to have and not a need to have :).

Martin.