Flashing vision from contrast dye during MRI scan

Hi, I have a brain AVM not far from the area that controls vision (have had this for 15 years with x2 lots of stereotactic radiosurgery previously).

I had an MRI scan today as have started getting bad migraines recently so they want to check the AVM for any changes etc, but both this time and the last time I had an MRI as soon as they inject the contrast dye I get really dizzy and also get flashing lights in my vision… Does anyone else suffer from this who has a brain AVM please? The scan was fine but it is always as soon as they inject the dye in my arm!

Many thanks,

Kate

Kate,

Welcome!

This depends on which part of your brain the contrast material goes through but there are definitely regions where it causes the flashing and other effects.

If you have a catheter angiogram at some point, the contrast material is injected into specific arteries and at that point, my interventional radiologist was able to tell me “hot flush”, “flashing lights”, “nauseous”, “you might get dizzy”… according to where he was injecting at the time.

I would also say that if you go in for an operation and they spend a long time flushing you with the contrast material, it can end up affecting you for a few weeks afterwards (it did me after I had an embolisation, and again after an angiogram).

I don’t think there’s anything to be concerned about from reactions like you’ve had to the contrast material – it all sounds normal to me.

Very best wishes,

Richard

2 Likes

My daughter complains of dizziness after a having a MRI/MRA
It’s usually brushed off, but I wonder…

I would of definitely raised the concerns & advised your medical team dealing with your AVM… I wonder if it is some type of reaction to the contrast… hopefully nothing too serious… God bless!