How old were you when your avm was detected?

I'm logging in under my husband's account.
our daughter's avm was discovered prenatally. nothing was detected during any of the scans. while at a routine visit at week 38+ my dr saw something. I was sent for an MRI which confirmed the AVM. our daughter was operated on when she was 4 months old.

I was 26. I'd recently broken up with my girlfriend, and had decided to work out hard the day before and then drink hard the night of. Luckily my roommate and friend were around to see me spazzing out.

I think I had a seizure a year prior, but it happened at night and I didn't know that was the cause. I broke my own jaw that night! Woke up in a pool of my own blood. I had figured it was caused by wisdom teeth driving me crazy at night. Oh well!

I was 45. It was an incidental finding after I suffered a concussion from being kicked in the head with a soccer ball. Dr. sent me for MRI 'just to be safe'. No damage from soccer ball but 7 cm AVM was discovered. I feel VERY lucky that it was found and after 3 embolization's it was fully removed.

How are you now? Any deficit? what kind of Treatment did you have. Still in school? What part was affected? Im sorry for so many question

did you have any deficit? what part of your brain was affected?

AVM was located on the motor strip. There is scar tissue present(from the stereotactic radiosurgery),I do have right sided weakness in right arm and leg. I find that strength training is helpful.I can see the difference is strength between the left and right when lifting weights but not willing to give up. Weakness is more significant when tired and I get a bit more clumsy. I am also on anti-seizure medication for simple partial seizures as well. Considering what the outcome could have been, I am very thankful and blessed that this is all I have for physical deficits.

thanks for your reply

did you have surgery? and how are you now? what part of your brain was affected? Thanks

HI! DID YOU HAVE ANY TREATMENT? WHAT PART OF YOUR BRAIN WAS AFFECTED? YOU HAD BLEED AND BLOOD CLOT, YOU MEAN YOU HAD SURGERY DONE? DO YOU HAVE ANY DEFICIT?
THANKS

HOW ARE YOU? iS THERE ANY DEFICIT? WHAT PART OF YOUR BRAIN WAS AFFECTED? DID YOU HAVE SURGERY AFTER THE BLEED?

Hi there. I wondered whether anyone who has had their unruptured AVM treated now wishes they had left it alone?

Hi there Lulu. I can say that I am glad I had it treated. I was symptomatic at the time, mid line shift, edema and increased blood pressure, changes in migraines which I was getting frequently with a headache almost every day. Being a single mom of two children, needing to provide for my children, and my parents being present at the time was the best decision. The first option was surgery which would have more than probable left me paralyzed on the right side. My neurosurgeon then provided a second option of sterotactic radiosurgery after my case was sent to panel in Boston. Yes, I was still at risk and yes, the second option took longer for results but, sterotactic radiosurgery was the better choice of the two. I feel considering what I was experiencing at that time having my AVM treated was best.

Thanks very much.

Lulu

I believe it started on the night of my 34th Birthday. Bad head aches - migraine, balance issue, blurred vision but chose to ignore and partied on. Then about 6 months later I was taken to the ER and they found via ct scan my brain was bleeding. Thunder clap is no joke... air lifted to a larger hospital for surgery.

I was 34 my AVM burst behind the right optic nerve and caused a hemorrhagic stroke. I had some symptoms however Doctors be-leaved I suffered from migraines

Wow, I had my burst after my 34th birthday, during the night. Thank God CT found the bleed after the 3rd day. Your lucky to have survived that long after the bleed.

The er almost sent me home with migraine meds before my friend basically made them do a ct scan.All due to my age, no insurance and they said I Looked fine...

BeatleChick, you're the first person I've "met" who had CVS from the time of infancy as well.

My neurologist found an unruptured AVM hanging out in my occipital lobe earlier this year at the age of 27.