Just Had a Second Bleed Last Month

Hello everyone,
I am currently 17 days past a second bleed . I had a stiff neck on August 26th and immediately went to ER. Knowing my medical history, and having the same ER doctor from my brain bleed 14 years ago when I was a kid, I was rushed into a CT scan where bleeding was discovered in the ventricle, thank goodness not in the brain again. Luckily I am home and the blood seems to be draining on its own. A CT next week will confirm this. But I have had the Gamma Knife twice, once in 2007 and again in 2012, but the doctors said the AVM grew back. I was not a candidate for embolization last time, and a third Gamma Knife may not be possible, so if anyone has a suggestion for alternative medicine, Iā€™m all ears.
Love to all,
-Julia

2 Likes

Sorry to hear Julia, but certainly great the blood is draining. Nice to have the followup CT fairly soon so you have that answer. I canā€™t offer much in the alternative areas as far as treatment, I was straight gamma knife. I have started to se frankincense in a diffuser and a krill oil supplement hoping to help my overall brain health. Certainly not a treatment. Hopefully your neuro can provide some options. stay Strong, John

1 Like

So sorry to hear this. . . I kinda have a side question, I suppose. Do you know why you were not a good candidate for embolization?

1 Like

Julia,

Ouch! Iā€™ve no idea either, so I just want to say ā€œwell done for going to the ER when you did!ā€

Fingers crossed that the docs can recommend something for you.

Very best wishes,

Richard

2 Likes

The blood vessels do not feed directly to the AVM, they kinda hook downward. Embolization could potentially block off other healthy veins/arteries.

1 Like

Gotcha. . . Thank you for replying, Iā€™m quite interested in all of this ā€œstuffā€ after having to deal with it myself.

My only other possible suggestion would be get a second opinion. . . But, thatā€™s just me & thatā€™s all I can come up with.

Where I got my embolization done here, they are very embolization happy - I asked. Itā€™s their #1 way of attacking AVMā€™s - but, of course - everyoneā€™s case is different

Hi Julia. IĀ“m glad that you are recovering. I have survived four strokes ( all brain bleeds). I wasnĀ“t a candidate for embolization either. I have had gamma knife and proton beam radiation. My avm was discovered in 1984 when the treatments were in experimental phase. I havenĀ“t been able to find alternative medicine, but the work and teachings of Dr. Joe Dispenza may help you. There are some videos on youtube. I have been reading about him and his work since last year. I have been implementing the heart coherence in my daily routines. I hope this helps. God bless you. With all my love Angie

1 Like

So sorry to hear about your bleed Julia. Best wishes for a full recovery. I am not able to have surgery or embolisation on my AVM due to its position (cerebellum). Every neurosurgeon I have seen has said its too risky and the likelihood is I would be left with other deficits. Lulu x

1 Like

I had the stick neck symptom when I had my cerebral hemorrhage. Little, to no headache whatsoever.
Hope you convalesce well. Take care of yourself.

ā€¦and every AVM is differentā€¦

2 Likes

Hello JoJo, I see this is your first post and just wanted to welcome you to our community. Take Care, John.

1 Like

My team is now discussing using embolization for the vein, rather than the artery. The artery feeds the AVM, while the vein takes blood back to the heart. Iā€™m calling this technique ā€œconstipating the AVM rather than starving it.ā€ :woman_shrugging:

My interventional radiologist did suggest he might approach the AVM from both sides (i.e. from both the arterial side and the venous side) so I think it is not that abnormal a thing to do.

ā€¦but I like your description of it! :clap: :rofl:

Richard

1 Like

Thatā€™s one thing I missed on asking my neurosurgeon - what side did they come in on.

Iā€™m just not sure - from what I can tell from the procedure transcript, it was one - he injected Onyx 18 first then Onyx 34(it might be the other way around, but high viscosity first would make more sense - I think)

But, since I didnā€™t ask - I am not certain. I just know that I had 3 arterial catheters & one in the main vein in my crotch.

Good question tho - I knew theyā€™d be something I missed to ask

Hey Hermione, did you go ahead with the ā€˜conspiratorā€™?
All the best
Jonny

1 Like

The ā€œconstipatorā€? Not yet. I had another angiogram for imaging earlier this month, and I have an MRI a week from Friday. Although my neuroradiologist seems hopeful that the embolization will workā€¦ they are hoping to do it before the end of the year. :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Good luck Hermione!

2 Likes

Hi Julia

I have bilateral AVMs but have not had a bleed ever (Iā€™m 51) - how do I know when I need to go to ER? What could happen if I have a bleed and how bad was your stiff neck before you went to the hospital?
I have frequent headaches and often have neck ache but was unaware that the ache could be linked to my AVMsā€¦ Iā€™d be grateful if you could helpā€¦

Jo Jo

Hi JoJo,
My AVM is right prefrontal cortex. When it bled during elementary school (I didnā€™t even know I had an AVM in the first place), I had a sudden severe headache, with a stiff neck. In less than 30 minutes, I vomited and fainted. I remember saying ā€œI feel like Iā€™m gonna dieā€ just moments before I passed out.
This summer, no headache with the bleed, but it bled outside the brain and into the ventricle this time. I was a passenger in a car, and my neck was really stiff again. It felt almost ā€œsloshyā€ on the inside. I tried moving my neck back and forth, hoping it was a muscle spasm or nerve pain, but it made it worse. So about 10 minutes after the initial pain, I demanded to go to the hospital because my left hand also went numb. I actually had the same thought enter my mind of ā€œI feel like Iā€™m gonna die.ā€ At the hospital, I suggested to my ER doctor that the numbness is my hand could have been from anxiety, and he told me that I looked perfectly fine, but we rushed a CT anyways where the bleed was discovered.
I go in next month for venous embolization. All the best to you!!
-Julia

3 Likes

Sending prayers your way but I would suggest maybe a second opinion if itā€™s possibleā€¦ God bless!