Mr Neil Kitchen - The National Hospital For Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London

I would highly recommend Mr Kitchen. After being told surgical treatment was not an option and Gamma Knife was my last option I was referred to him for his opinion.

I was understandably very nervous but from that first meeting he put my mind at rest and took time to explain why the other treatments were not feasible and that Gamma knife was an option for me. He was also happy to answer the sheet full of questions I had.

At that time The National did not have a Gamma Knife machine and I had my treatment at the Bupa Cromwell. Mr Kitchen was there at each stage of treatment explaining what would be happening and I felt I was in safe hands.

After the treatment had finished there was a delay in the porter arriving and I was cold and shivering. With my husband's help Mr Kitchen helped me onto a trolley and then helped push me back to the room so I could get into bed and get warmed up.

He also gave me the phone number of a vascular nurse that I can contact if I ever have any worrying symptoms and need reassurance. I'm very happy with all aspects of my treatment.

How long did you have the GKS. Was unruptured. Good to hear you’re feeling good.

Hi Linda,

I had the GKS in March 2012. The AVM has not ruptured but causes Trigeminal Neuralgia which causes excruciating pain. My first check-up in March 2013 showed no change in the AVM and I'm going for an MRI scan on the 17th December. I'm hoping that this will begin to show some changes.

Hi Jo Did you trigeminal neuralgia before the GKS or was it a side effect of the GKS? Hopefully you will have some good news in December! Fingers crossed for you x

Hi Linda,

The TN started first in 2008. The first Neurologist I saw was very dismissive and said as my MRI was clear there wasn’t anything he could do to help apart from medication.

I requested a second opinion and I was so fortunate to see a much more understanding Neurologist who immediately picked up on the longer than usual TN zaps, tingling in my left arm and leg, and dizziness. After many tests I was diagnosed with the AVM in May 2011.

When I first saw Mr Kitchen he pointed out the first MRI and said the AVM was clearly visible. You can imagine how angry and upset I was on hearing that.

1 Like