Neurosurgeon

does anyone have a recommendation on how I can find the best neurosurgeon to perform brain surgery on my daughter in California (LA)? Not sure how and where to start as I wan the best for my daughter. Thanks.

As far as I know, the best is Dr.Spetzler in Barrow iInstitute in Phoenix Arizona.

Martin at UCLA is said to be one of the best I went Dr. Lanzino at the Mayo Clinic for travel reason only but everyone has there own best good luck

Back in 1996 when we were looking for the best neurosurgeon, we traveled from KS to CA. We met with the head neuro at UCLA. He’d treated 300 AVM patients (at the time). We continued to Stanford and met with Dr. Steinberg and Marks. They’d treated 3,000 AVMs at the time and said they could fix it.

We were thrilled with them and the support we received. They take tough AVM cases from around the world.

When you get to that level of surgeons, we found they talk with each other, especially on tough cases. The Proton Beam Radiation DR at Loma Linda (tied to Stanford’s team) knew the PBR DR we used at Boston earlier. He said they discussed and sometimes argued on the proper radiation dosages to use. Long term, it sounds like Loma Linda was right…

Things might have changed, but we had our scans sent to Stanford, then spoke with them, then met with them.

If Stanford’s not the best, they are right at the top. I’d not hesitate to go there again.

Ron, KS

There are a number of people on this site that are from LA/OC and have had great results from surgeons in the area. I had surgery by Dr. Richard Kim who is based out of Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach and Mission Hospital/Childrens Hospital of OC in Mission Viejo. Another person on the site that comes to mind is Krystal Gray. She had her surgery somewhere in LA and seems to have had wonderful results. She had also been working on putting together an AVM support group in Orange County a month or two back, so you may want to drop her a line and see what she has to say.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will try UCLA and take it from there.

Will, I guess Dr. Martin is not in my network. Back to the drawing board.

Tony said:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will try UCLA and take it from there.

Tony I would send Dr Martin an email and ask him who he would recommend under your situation. I have never met the man but he answered my last email in less then 24 hrs . Good luck Gordon

that is a great idea. i will do that. best wishes on our recovery!!

Gordon D said:

Tony I would send Dr Martin an email and ask him who he would recommend under your situation. I have never met the man but he answered my last email in less then 24 hrs . Good luck Gordon

I was at Childrens Hospital, Los Angeles with my baby girl in July. They have ties to some of the best doctors in the nation.

Great Doctors in Los Angeles
Dr. McComb, Dr. Krieger and Dr. Teitelbaum (who treated my daughter)
Look them up.
Best of luck.

I would recommend Dr. Gary K. Steinberg @ Stanford http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/Gary_Steinberg/ & team http://neurosurgery.stanford.edu/patient_care/cerebrovascular.html.
Dr. Steinberg has done 3 of my 4 surgeries - great dr!