Positive Angiogram experience in Portland, OR?

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a recent positive experience having an angiogram in Portland, OR? I had one 15 years ago at OHSU, and that dr has since retired. I am now insured with Kaiser, but would pay out of pocket for an angiogram with a doctor that someone recommends. I have a large left parietal AVM that has been giving me headaches for the first time (I am 53; my AVM was diagnosed when I had a bleed when I was 6).

My recommendation to anyone in the US & as what I heard from many - if you’re able to get to Barrow Neurological, it’s the best place to be for folk with our condition

This is only my opinion of course & is based on my experience + a handful of others with neurological issues as well

Yes I have had three by my wonderful Dr Vincent. I was asleep for all of them. I have one tomorrow with him to check and see if all is well. He’s an awesome neurosurgeon. He practices at both the st. Vincents hospitals and has offices at both. He also did my craineotomy. It took 14 hrs. No blood loss, minimal. That was 10 or 11 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Everytime I see people having to go from one state to another and check on different doctors, I wonder how? We live on such a small amount of SS monthly we have no money to travel all over. I feel it was such a blessing to have found my Dr. In Portland, 2 hrs drive away. I don’t know how I would have done it. He was found in an emergency for me. I took a turn for worse in Eugene and no drs we’re available for me. He accepted 15 minutes later!!! I see him as being my help from my higher power for sure. Portland is a huge city. I was out … so it was really amazing.

2 Likes

I completely understand, for me - it would it be impossible if I lived far away from BNI

I was awake for my final angiogram, it was def something to say the least

1 Like

OMG he looks amazing! I am going to call his office right now! Thank you!!!

4 Likes

Did u get an answer from him? I’m anxious for u.

1 Like

Forgive me if you got a reply from me already – I’m not very good at using message boards. :slight_smile:
Thank you so much for checking in on me! I cannot get in to see the neuro team at Oregon Clinic until my primary gets me a referral – and I am waiting for him to do that – hopefully next week. I think that team looks excellent, though, and I am grateful to you for leading me to them!!
I have not done anything about treating my AVM because it has felt too risky when my kids were little, but now they are both young adults, and I feel like perhaps it is time for me to take a more aggressive approach to treatment.
-Nikki

2 Likes

Oh I’m so glad. They are an excellent team…I’m so glad I read about you. Sometimes I’m just reading different stories to keep myself going. When I saw Portland Oregon I was so excited. Yes I do! That’s me! Keep me posted. I’m in my 12th week after craineotomy. I got told by Dr. Vincent yesterday he got it all! Best news ever! I’ll be watching for your posts…

2 Likes

Nikkid,

You say that you are a Kaiser member. Have you already inquired where and who would perform the angiogram? If they give you that information, you can investigate them further.

Years ago, a friend of mine, a Kaiser member, was referred to UCSF, thanks to the strong encouragement of her husband. All went well. Be your best advocate.

Best wishes.