Sleep paralysis

I’ve just realised that I’ve had episodes of sleep paralysis since the age of about 6. The feeling that you can’t move when you wake up (or just as you are falling asleep). They don’t happen regularly but was wondering if anyone else experienced this. Not sure whether it is related to my AVM in the temporal lobe.

Hey I just stumbled upon this. I thought I was all alone

I have had this happen to me about 3-4 times in my life. I never even knew it even had a diagnosis. It is such a scary feeling. I would wake up some time in the night and not be able to move, talk, scream for help etc. My eyes will be open and mentally fully conscious but everything else is non functional. For me it usually lasts for about 10 to 20 seconds. Talk about a panic attack, this will do it for you. The last time it happened was about 2002. When my body finally kicked into gear I told my wife what happened and it wasn’t the first time she said it’s the devil possessing my sole and holding me down. She said next time it happens just say in Jesus name amen and he will save me. :slight_smile:

I had some type of paralysis off and on throughout my life. It would go away so quick,
I didn’t think about it much until I was diagnosed with the avm.

Peace,
Ameenah

It sounds like from what Jason said, temporary/sleepy paralysis doesn’t have to be because of the avm.
Every since I got diagnosed with the avm, everything that happened to me in life, I blamed on the avm lol lol.

Peace,
Ameenah

Hi,

I agree with Jason that sleep paralysis is fairly common. A lot of people have one episode of it at some point in their lives. However, i don’t think the doctors agree on why some people have mutiple incidents of it. Seeing as some think that the temporal lobe could have some involvement (especially for those occassions when there are hallucinations) I thought it would be good to see if anyone else had similar experiences.

Ameenah, I’m the same. I blame everything on the AVM too. It was the reason why i was 45 minutes late for work this morning. lol.

You know it is not your fault you were late, it’s that darn avm lol lol

Paula Butler said:

Hi,

I agree with Jason that sleep paralysis is fairly common. A lot of people have one episode of it at some point in their lives. However, i don’t think the doctors agree on why some people have mutiple incidents of it. Seeing as some think that the temporal lobe could have some involvement (especially for those occassions when there are hallucinations) I thought it would be good to see if anyone else had similar experiences.

Ameenah, I’m the same. I blame everything on the AVM too. It was the reason why i was 45 minutes late for work this morning. lol.

hi only just put this together ,i used to get this so often scared the life out of me ,i even went to the college of parapsychology at one point and they told me to imagine white water flowing from every orifice in my body and it would go ,i did this and it did help although i sometimes think it may have just gone on its own only just diagnosed with large avm in early april ,maybe they are connected ,carol

Just saw this post. I have a Davf, a type of avm. Over 2 years after the Davf developed, I started having sleep paralysis too. The first time it happened, I was terrified as I didn’t know what was happening and I had never heard of it. My eyes open and close during it but cannot move otherwise.

hiya its awful never crossed my mind untill a few weeks ago and have since found that there is quite a few who get it ,unfortunately i can’t get a appointment with a neurologist untill august to ask them about it

carol