Social Security Disability Lawyer in California?

Hi AVM Family - We live in Southern California and need a to hire a Social Security Disability Lawyer since we have been deined our 1st claim (waited 2yrs for the answer). We had a bad experience with one lawyer already (Bill Latour). Can you give us a name of someone that can help use, and you used and were granted Soical Security Disailbity in California? Thank you

If you go to the state bar association you can search for attorney by type/county. Good Luck.

Hi Sue,

If you can't find a local attorney, give http://www.allsup.com/ a try.

Take care,

Patti

We live in Ohio but I'd like to tell you how I obtained SSD for my husband. Our first claim was denied so I went to see a lawyer. He wanted 30% of whatever we were awarded. I gave him all of the paperwork and his comment to me was "Wow, you've done all my work!". So I thought, I'm doing this myself. Why should I hire him. Someone told me to get my Congressman involved. I contacted his office and it turns out they have a whole department dedicated to SSD. So they told me to download the forms from their website, fill them out and mail in all the original SSD paperwork along with the denial. They assigned me a case worker from the Congressman's office as well. Within about 4 or 5 weeks we received a copy of a letter that was sent to the Congressman from SSD which was thanking him for his interest in my husband's claim and that it would now be red-flagged for congressional interest. We were approved about 4 weeks later. It's worth a try! Good luck!

YES DO GET ONE, I THINK ALL THEY DO IS TURN PEOPLE DOWN I AM GETTIN READY TO GO TO THE NEXT STEP WITH THEM BUT I DID GET A LAWYER BUT I DIDNT HAVE TO PAY THEM ANYTHING UP FRONT THEY GET PAID ONCE THE CASE IS WON. MOST LAWYER’S WORK THAT WAY WHEN IT COMES TO SSDI, I THINK THEY ARE IN THIS TOGETHER SO WE WILL HAVE TO HIRE A LAWYER, YES WE CAN DO ALL THE PAPERWORK OURSELVES BUT I HAD A FRIEND THAT FOUGHT WITH THEM FOR ALMOST 5YEARS BY HERSELF AND SOON AS SHE GOT THE LAWYER IN THE 6 YEAR SHE FINALLY GOT APPROVED. SO YES FIND ONE FAST AND GET READY FOR A LONG FIGHT.

Hi Sue,

I came across your post and wanted to share something with you. I did an application for Social Security back in September 2010. I received my denial letter in March after my docs provided all of the information that I am not able to or allowed to work or drive or live alone, have severe chronic migraines and have had three hemorrhages. Someone here on this site suggested that I do the appeal and send in the denial letter to my congressman because they have a department that handles cases such as these. I''m waiting to get a decision soon here from them. I know their offices are backlogged as well with cases but hopefully this will be quicker than waiting for another denial from SS. I hope this helps.

Also, it’s a free service so you won’t have to hand over a chunk of your back pay benefits to an attorney.

I like the "get your congressman involved" approach.

In the early 80's, my Dad passed away after being in/out of hospitals most of the year prior. Dad had worked for the Post Office, back when it was a good job, with good benefits.

After his death, Mom dutifully filed the paperwork to switch all the paperwork from both of them, to just her. A few months after submitting the paperwork, Mom got a letter from the insurance provider (BC/BS). Basically, the letter said that all claims for my Dad in the past two years had been paid in error, and Mom was to return the money paid in the form of her personal check in the amount of $88,XXX within the next 30 days. Yeah, right.

Mom's pension at the time was maybe $10K per year; no way she had $88K.

I'm proud of Mom for what she did next: While my sis and I were in high school, Mom was one of the HS cooks. Of course she knew all of the kids from all the years she worked there. She recalled that one boy named Scott, now worked in the office of a US congressman located in a nearby city!

So Mom loads all the info, drives to the local town to meet Scott. Scott looks at her info and tells Mom, don't worry, he'll handle everything.

A few weeks later, Mom showed me a letter that she was cc'ed on from Congressman XXXXX, written on the Congressman's letterhead and "signed" by the Congressman. The letter stated that he personally expected their agency to perform a review on the matter of what monies Mom might owe, if any. He directed that any further correspondence on this matter be directed through his office and he would personally be reviewing the status.

A couple of things happened. Mom never heard from these people again. I'm sure Congressman XXXXX had no idea about Mom's case, but it sure won a vote for him in her mind. Scott took care of it.

Ron, KS

Ron, What a great outcome for your mother. I’m sorry though about the situation. I pray every day that I receive a postive outcome as well.

Ron, Kansas said:

I like the "get your congressman involved" approach.

In the early 80's, my Dad passed away after being in/out of hospitals most of the year prior. Dad had worked for the Post Office, back when it was a good job, with good benefits.

After his death, Mom dutifully filed the paperwork to switch all the paperwork from both of them, to just her. A few months after submitting the paperwork, Mom got a letter from the insurance provider (BC/BS). Basically, the letter said that all claims for my Dad in the past two years had been paid in error, and Mom was to return the money paid in the form of her personal check in the amount of $88,XXX within the next 30 days. Yeah, right.

Mom's pension at the time was maybe $10K per year; no way she had $88K.

I'm proud of Mom for what she did next: While my sis and I were in high school, Mom was one of the HS cooks. Of course she knew all of the kids from all the years she worked there. She recalled that one boy named Scott, now worked in the office of a US congressman located in a nearby city!

So Mom loads all the info, drives to the local town to meet Scott. Scott looks at her info and tells Mom, don't worry, he'll handle everything.

A few weeks later, Mom showed me a letter that she was cc'ed on from Congressman XXXXX, written on the Congressman's letterhead and "signed" by the Congressman. The letter stated that he personally expected their agency to perform a review on the matter of what monies Mom might owe, if any. He directed that any further correspondence on this matter be directed through his office and he would personally be reviewing the status.

A couple of things happened. Mom never heard from these people again. I'm sure Congressman XXXXX had no idea about Mom's case, but it sure won a vote for him in her mind. Scott took care of it.

Ron, KS