Spasticity

Just a simple question about spasticity and if it ever goes back to normal and if so how long it took.

I haven intermittent spasticity on one side, and largely just in the hand. For me it seems to be somewhat related to hydration. I thought it was just muscle cramping but realize it is more than that now. It is in my hand.I haven’t noticed any change over time but will be paying much more attention to see if anything I do is influencing the frequency. My limited research has indicated that it certainly can improve over time. Take Care, John.

Spasticity
Abnormal stiffness within skeletal muscles due to nerve damage; feature of altered skeletal muscle performance with a combination of paralysis, increased tendon reflex activity, and hypertonia. It is also colloquially referred to as an unusual “tightness”, stiffness, or “pull” of muscles.
Clinically, spasticity results from the loss of inhibition of motor neurons, causing excessive velocity-dependent muscle contraction. This ultimately leads to hyperreflexia, an exaggerated deep tendon reflex. Spasticity is often treated with the drug baclofen, which acts as an agonist at GABA receptors, which are inhibitory.

I just learned another medical term

Ever since my hemorrhage I’ve had what seems like muscle spasms. Some in my delts, some in other muscle groups - I knew it had to be related to CNS damage

It’s manageable, but “different” at the least

1 Like

I’m also curious.
My daughter (15) was crying this weekend. She just wants her hand to go back to “normal”.
So really struggles with the loss of use of her hand and limited mobility in her leg.

As a parent I can only imagine how this impacts you, as you support her. I wish there was more I could say or do that would help, my thoughts are with you, stay strong. John.

1 Like