Spinal AVM and Hemangiomas vs. Spinal Fusion/Surgery

Hi to all!
The question on this discussion probably will be difficult to answer.
However, this is always my main source of information. I trust all of your input and opinions very much.
My spine carry with 2 hemangiomas (L5 and sacrum) and extensive AMS's along the spine. (I have an additional hemangioma developed on my left hip... but is not the subject for this discussion)
I have reports from my childhood (Hospital del Nino- Peru) stating that my marrow it's a mix of marrow tissue and avm.
Dr. Vanni, from the Miami University Hospital, is sending a lot of new tests, now.
It is the only doctor that is being so involved. Great level of knowledge too.
As you can understand, at age 44, due to avm's, hemangiomas and 2 pregnancies, my spine: collapsed.
My pelvis / spine is all loose and broken.
He is considering performing a spinal fusion at lumbar area or so (not yet... again I am having all these tests done first)
Question: Does anybody have any experienced of any Spinal Fusion or even any other orthopedic procedure while having an inoperable spinal avm at the same time?

If so, please advise me about post operatory symptoms, infections, risk of ostheomyelitis, etc.

Thanks

Sorry Rosario, cannot help with this, but wish you all the best!

Thanks! Wish you the best as well.

MIchael! You just kind of answered my discussion! I read your postings to other discussions and as you say: If the beast still alive.... And my beast is quite awake. Actually, Dr. Aziz-Sultan in Miami (now he is at Boston, Mass, he is very good), he tried to embolize it, but at this point is inoperable. If he proceeded as he stated in 2012, I could ended up even worse (I still having a little bit of functions from my waist down).
In a fusion, they put these metal pieces to stabilize spine, then, in between vertebrates,a piece of your own bone is placed to let it grow until spine becomes one single piece of bone.
My questions are:
* How cells will develop in these conditions with this killer surrounding.
* Infections, osteomyelitis will be part of my recovery right? (Osteomyelitis is the infection of the spine... doctors told me before that I must avoid infections in my body that could lead to it)
* Bleeding (most common side effect in a fusion under normal circumstances) will be practically difficult to avoid, right?

I just wanted to comment this to you. Thanks for listening.

Dear Rosario,

sorry for answering so late, had some things to do (hernia surgery and therapy).

So I had 2 laminectomies after (!) pulmonary embolism and DVT's.
After second embolism of my AVF/M (they told me so much feeders like AVM), the Professor stopped and said: NO MORE embolism for me, cause it high risk. The AVM is too near to main arteria, so perhaps I die of bleeding.

Then they told me. Go home, we have to discus the further therapy (neurosurgery and neuroradiology worked together).

Long time I heard nothing, status inoperable AVM.
Then a neurosurgeon, Dr. Stetz, called me and invited me to the hospital.
He told me: I am now the idiot, cause I will make the surgery. Doesnt matter if the AVM is inoperable, near to main arteria, or your bleeding risk of bloodthinner and thrombosis.

But he told me: If he makes it NOT, I would die. Cause the AVM is a timebomb with bloodthinner and my DVT.

Why I write all this?
Cause I fear, you are in a very important point of decision (dont hit me....., sure you know this). What would happen, if you make the fusion NOT. You are young. What is the prognosis? And then I say: Why should the cells not developing good? If the AVM beast, killer is so long in your spinal, like a closed system, the cells and the AVM are only neighbours. Good. And bad neighbour.
Infection: Sorry had so many visits in the neurosurgery clinic - yes this sure can happen, but the surgeons are prepared for this. Open surgery, every kind of it, has this risk. Like the bleeding risk. But the question is: Can your surgeon see the fusion and AVM as different things, can he make the fusion without thinking about the AVM?

Ask him. I am with you in my heart and soul.

Thanks a lot Michael.
I appreciate every word coming from you.
At this point, after several tests it seems like they want to embolize partially around the vertebraes needed to be replaced somehow. Remember my L2 to L5 are all broken: collapsed.
The orthopedic doctor will proceed to do surgery 24 hours after the embolization.
That’s what I know so far.
But I will hear the final answer on Oct 8th. I will keep you posted.
Thanks a lot again

Dear Michael:
Finally, the doctors at the University of Miami decided that my AVM's AVF's, Nidus, etc are inoperable.
If they "touch them", it will put me under risk of death.
However, Dr. Vanni, said he can perform a fusion (orthopedic procedure) that can fix the lumbar area of my spine. To give you an idea, my L4 vertebrae is gone, complete eaten up by my AVM's. I just have vascular malformations on that place,instead.
I will look for a second opinion before going to that procedure...
Even if doctor Vanni advised that my structure is going to colapse, I am just concern about bleeding during the surgery, even if they have no intentions of touch my veins...
I just wanted to keep you posted.
You are a very wise man. Thanks for helping us.