Things I was never told....(my embolization journey)

As I am now in my 2nd week after my 1st of a few embolization's, I am facing so many deficits and just things that I didn't expect, and I have to say, its hard. So I thought I'd drop some pearls of wisdom for the next person with an occipital lobe AVM who will be undergoing an embolization or embolization's followed by craniotomy.

So, no one ever told me...

1. That when I woke up the headache would be so severe, I mean it felt like some one cut my head open with a knife and I didn't get any relief for hours. No cocktail of drugs were effective.

2. That you would feel uncontrollably nauseous as soon as you woke up and it has VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH anesthesia. When someone is tinkering with your brain it sends some funky signals that make you want to vomit. I puked a few times while in ICU minutes after coming out of the angiogram room. It was bad, I felt horrible and did a lot of praying. It was a cycle of pain, passing out and waking up to vomit.
3. The catheter would hurt. That thing was downright painful and I think they should train nurses a little better on how to insert them so they are comfortable when you wake. I had to beg for them to remove mine.
4. ICU should be called, I WAKE YOU. I was woken up what seemed like every few minutes for everything, from vitals, to more pain meds, vision tests and silly questions like, "do you know where you are?". That coupled with the cords that are all over the place makes it impossible to get sleep or relief from pain.
5. No one told me that there would be so many cords. They monitor everything from the brain to the heart, and if one goes loose the machines are beeping hysterically. Chances of getting meaningful sleep are so slim in the hospital.
6. That peeing laying down was so hard. Why didn't anyone tell me? It is almost impossible to convince the brain to allow you to go when you are laying flat on your back in a well lit room surrounded by nurse staff.
7. That you would loose most of your hair depending on how long you spend on the table. I have lost all of by beautiful curly hair. I mean, today, I had to cut what was left and cried my eyes out the entire way through. It just hurt so bad. I had been trying to hold on to what little I had left but reality was, it was all over the place. It was embarrassing. Now I have HUGE BALD SPOTS in the middle of my head and along the left side. Its awful and I haven't gotten use to any of that yet.
9. That I would get so tired so easily now. It is exhausting to do the most basic of things.
10. Noises would annoy me and I would scare easily.
11. That waking up after an embolization is a bit disorienting. I now have a quandranopsia as a result of the procedure, and it will eventually after all is finished be a complete hemopsia, but waking up it took a while for my brain to figure out what I was seeing. I kept my eyes closed often.
12. Why did anyone tell me about the many bruises? I am bruised along my groin and right side. My stomach is pretty bruised too. I am not sure why, but it is and it is still sore.
13. Last but most certainly not least, why didn't anyone tell me about the teeth pain? Now I know 5 plus hours on a table with radiation being pumped into your brain isn't the healthiest of things to engage in, but I had no idea the impact it would have on the rest of my body and my teeth hurt. A LOT. I hate it and am not sure if I'll find much relief soon....
So, this isn't meant to be funny, but it is a light hearted way of me dealing with a lot of the frustrating events that have taken place since my 1st embolization and consequently what I have to look forward to for the next one.

I will not create the illusion that things are easy, or that it would get easier because I have no idea and been kinda going day by day, but I will say a positive attitude and surrounding yourself around people that genuinely love you helps make all the hurdles a little easier to get over. Don't be afraid to ask for help and to cry, and most importantly, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and tell people to back off when you need too. People have a tendency to pass along their stress. We are dealing with enough, don't internalize someone else's stress in the process. If you think they are being too abrasive and their tone is not supportive, make them aware so that you are in an environment of constant support and encouragement, because you are gonna need it.

Tight hugs and kisses to all my fighters and survivors!

Good luck to all my fighters and survivors. The road is an interesting one, filled with a lot of unexpected obstacles, but there's some special stuff going on in there too. :-)

~Mica

I look forward to hearing further insights from you as you go through recovery, Mica. All the best to you!

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog Madereā€¦and supporting me in my recovery.
The best to you as well! :slight_smile:

Musemica, I pray for you and have faith that all these symptoms are very temporary and soon you will be all well. Help yourself believe that all the treatment is for your good. I hope it will help.

I feel so badly for you and admire you so much. Hang in there and I hope that today will be a better day. I look forward to hearing more about your progress.

Glad you posted no one knows what this has been like or explains what each procedure recovery is like. Know everyone is different. This is another reason this ste is so helpful.

Thank you Hope2BLucky. Positive thinking has definitely gotten me through some of the harder stuff. I try to see the lesson in things so I am not as angry at things that seem to be out of my control at this moment. I remind myself daily, all of this is a means to an end. This will, with time, eventually all be over...Your encouraging words are so helpful. Thank you

Hi Sophie

Being on this sight has inspired me and kept me out of the loop of depression that plagues most of us fighters. My inspiration is drawn from each and everyone of your stories...I am thankful to be a part of it at such an interesting part of the journey. Thank you for reading the blog and your inspiring words. I will keep you posted :-)

Hi Julie! :-)

You're right, everyone is different, but it is still a little comforting to find some information prior to or even after having treatments like embolization's. Prior to the procedure, I found little information, and what little I found gave no human experience. It was more or less black and white. It explained the procedure, its risks and some of its side effects, but it really would have been nice to know some of the real gritty stuff. The stuff we all deserve to be prepared for. lol. As we all share and heal I hope we continue to inspire, encourage and educate one another and new members as they join.

Yeah, it's a different world. Every day we go forward though. Don't we?
Best to ya!