Update of hyperbaric therapy

Well I had promised to update once I had finished another 20 rounds of hyperbaric therapy. I noticed my drop foot lessened and my fingers on my affected hand are now loose close to normal and my affected arm which I used to carry due to my hemorrhagic stroke damage is now on my side like a normal arm except it’s a bit stiff and not normal feeling yet. I also got the dr to agree to give me more sessions if my whole neuro team is on board to allow me to get more. Will update once I get a reply for that and hopefully no change to the carcass that is my avm (embolized) I haven’t had any symptoms to need an angiogram and my next one isn’t until 2022. Fingers crossed that recovery keeps being this way. I am still fighting to regain what I lost as always :slight_smile: sorry for not being as present in the forums I have just been so busy being a mom of a crazy toddler

4 Likes

@Teiry that is wonderful news. I have been really wanting to try this but my drs wont sign off it since I still have active DAVF. But I am so happy that you were able to do it and its helping you.
Angela

1 Like

That’s right. I remember you mentioning that!! I am still conflicted on saving up for another 20 rounds since I didn’t see a big difference like the first 20. The dr did say I should take a break and to come back after my next angio and have that dr sign off on it again and whenever I’m ready to come back for the next 20, if I want to. Part of me wants to since my fingers are not as tight in a fist and my foot is not as dropped anymore but I don’t know I guess I wanted a miracle LOL!! Mainly because other hyperbaric clinics had told me I would be good with 13-14 sessions and here I am 40 in and I’m not as advanced as I wanted to be for my 4 year anniversary post stroke :confused:

1 Like

@Teiry Have you ever tried one of the tens unit that is also an EMS unit? I was paralyzed on one side - my left and before my massive stroke I was scheduled to go in for rt cuff surgery but had the CVST stroke ( blood clots in my brain ) 2 weeks before. I couldnt move my arm or leg. I could barely dress myself even before the stroke. Then about six months later I started to get movement back, but it just since doesnt feel the same as well as my leg. My Stanford PT said that esp in my back and tricep muscles had atrophied, so she used a tens/ems unit that would send small shocks while I was working out and then I bought one - they are pretty cheap. I think I got one on overstock before I knew that they were on Amazon.
Then about 18 months I finally had the rt cuff surgery and it took about a year to recover which should of taken about 3 months.
I feel like its just a constant PT for us who have gone through paralysis.
Hugs
Angela