Update on USA Stem Cell trials in the Brain

So some of you know their is a USA national Stem cell trial from reg stroke and TBI patients.
I saw my stroke dr and asked him how it was going and he said both well - That people with TBI that had paralyze for years were regaining movement with the stem cells in the brain. He said the was a paper published but I could not find it, He said the paper for stroke would be published in the spring. The trial will be done in Sept of 2019.

I asked if their were any AVM patients in his study and he said no - but he said once FDA it would be up to each dr to apply it. There is hope for those who have suffered a bleed and have paralysis.

Here is a link to one of their earlier patients and how they do it

Happy Holidays
Angela

2 Likes

Very exciting!

Plus… I just noticed… You joined AVM survivors SEVEN years ago today!! Happy anniversary! It would be great if you felt 101% and were off enjoying everything about life but it is great otherwise that you’re here and still trying to support others so many years after joining. Well done!

Have a great weekend!

Richard

1 Like

Wow. That is great news.

1 Like

That is great news.
Thank you for sharing this. It gives me hope for my son.
Happy holidays.

-Randee

2 Likes

I suffered a brain AVM November 2002 which has left me with no use down my left side, would this type of thing benefit myself?

1 Like

@Tessa1988

The article doesn’t say how long after her stroke the adult stem cell treatment was used, so it might have been only days or weeks or months rather than years, so it seems difficult to know whether the treatment can revitalise function that has been lost a long time ago or only function that has been recently suppressed or damaged. However, it sounds like miracle stuff, so I hope it might.

I think we need to keep an eye on the development of this kind of treatment, not least as this is only one example and it is very early to know how generally successful it will be, who or what circumstances give great outcomes like this, etc.

I hope it gives us some possibility. As I’ve said many times, we are so lucky to live in an age when the interventions we have are available compared to the generations who’ve passed before us.

Fingers crossed!

Richard

@Tessa1988
Hello I was able to find the paper on the TBI and stem cells
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328199760_Combination_of_drug_and_stem_cells_neurotherapy_Potential_interventions_in_neurotrauma_and_traumatic_brain_injury
When I spoke to my Stroke dr he said it was working with people that had years of paralysis and that is what he had said in first year of the study as well.
Obviously he knows I have an AVM/ DAVF I tried to get into the study but he said no cause I wasn’t old enough and I didn’t have paralysis.

I almost made into UCSF study but I think I got cut because of my AVM/ DAVF I think they wanted to keep it strictly to reg strokes and my stroke was a rare stroke CVST type.
When I asked him if they had any AVM Stroke people in the trial ( its a national clinical trial) he said no, but once FDA approved and it would be up to each dr to decide to use.
It gives me hope not just for AVM , Stroke, TBI paralysis but also hope it helps with the brain pain.
I’ll keep posted any updates I get .
Hugs Angela

1 Like