Venous Malformation in wrist and hand

I have had issues with my left hand since I was about 14 years old. Occasional pain and swelling in my palm and general weakness in my hand. It only seemed to flare up once or twice a year but 34 years later flares up a good bit. I am very active (cycling, swimming, crossfit,etc.)and it was starting to affect my lifestyle so I went to see a hand surgeon. He ordered an MRI and it revealed the VM. He said lets perform surgery the next week. After further questioning he admitted that he had only removed a few in his career and that it would most probably grow back. After he kept changing his post surgery downtime from 2 weeks to 3 months I decided to hold off. I then came across sclerotherapy on the web and have an appointment with Dr. Yakes at the end of November. Since making the appointment I have read horror stories about sclerotherapy's potential affects on the hands and fingers. The last thing I want to do is take this from an annoyance to a life changer. I know my issue is minor compared to most on this board but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am so glad you held off on surgery, Dubai Gator. It could very well have worsened the situation, particularly if your doctor is not an expert in vascular anomalies. Sclerotherapy brings relief to some and complications to others -- each case is different. Dr. Yakes has many patients here, and most of them have improvement. A few have discontinued the treatment because of complications like necrosis or nerve damage. One member went into cardiac arrest but recovered -- it is a rare complication, but possible.

Yakes's center is a good place to go to find out more information about your VM and discuss options; then you can take your time to evaluate and consider next steps. VMs are easier to treat than AVMs. I believe Robert Rosen has different techniques and may be able to offer you some alternatives to alcohol sclerotherapy. Eileen can tell you more. Do you wear a compression bandage on your hand?

dancermom, thanks for the quick response.

No compression bandage. Didn't know that it would be helpful. Dr Yakes will be the first doctor I have seen who knows much about VMs.

Glad you decided not to have surgery with your initial doctor. Any doctor who says he/she has only removed a few VMs is not very encouraging and not surprising that his outcomes were not positive. Try not to freak yourself out by reading about sclerotherapy. Everybody is different and Dr. Yakes's office will be a great source of information for you about your VM. Great news you are going to the right place for assistance. If you can Dubai Gator, try to bring someone with you to the appointment. That will help you calm nerves while actually visiting with Yakes. Keep us posted!!

Hi Dubai Gator - It is good to hear that you are getting the help you need. I understand your fear, but every case is different and at least you know some of the potential side effects from your procedure. I would also find out what Dr. Yakes thinks about your chances for surgery down the road as well. A doctor who is very experienced in VMs may be able to operate depending on the exact location of your VM. Please be sure to let us know how your appointment goes Dubai Gator and good luck with everything.

Hello

I am also sufering from AVM ON my left upper limb. Plz guide me what steps u have taken to get it tretaed.

Pankaj,

Welcome to the site!

Please be careful re-opening old conversations. Our web site changed last summer and many people didn’t follow us across the transition. Equally, many people do move on after a period of 4 years.

If you dont get responses to your post, please start a new topic instead and I’m sure current members will seek to help and support you.

Thanks,

Richard