Weight lifting restrictions

I had (2) embolizations in Summer 2009, followed by Cyberknife radiation in December 2009. No rupture. Now have to wait for next 2 years for AVM to shrink. During that time, my neurosurgeon has told me that I can have all normal activities, but I should avoid lifting weight that would cause blood gushing through the head. This is very subjective and I interpret it differently than my family (they think that I am taking a risk, and I think that they are over-cautious!)

Does anyone have data about safe lifting weight - possibly as a ratio to the body weight, or some other measure?

Manny,
First off I have to say I’m a “female” and there are vast differences between the male and female bodies. My neurosurgeon told me that I’m not allowed to do ANY heavy lifting and I have to be very careful in performing normal everyday tasks (ie: I can no longer bend over and tie my shoes; I have to stoop down because bending over causes the blood to rush to my head). Listen to your body and know your own limitations. The noted risks are there for a reason so I doubt all of the same things you did before you do now. I wish you the best and any research you obtain please pass along to the rest of the community.

HI!
My Neurologyst recommended not to lift weights also, only 5 pounds…I was used to go to the gym 24-7
Because, my avm can bleed again… I’m only walking…Well thank you and good luck…God bless…

i had gamma and until it went away i was told to keep my heart rate under 180 and not to lift more than 30 pounds. this put a damper on me because i swim and play water polo and lift for training
i guess it depends on how cautious your doc is, mine was like well youve been doing this for 17 years and no bleed but just in case i would limit it

Manny, I would say that our only limitations are extreme powerlifting. I was initially told in my early teen years to not lift over my head from my pediatric neurologist. I think that was crap. I did listen at the time and played only basketball and baseball because football was no longer an option! When I went off to college 5 years later, and no longer worrying my parents, I started lifting regularly. I think unless you’re a powerlifter or bodybuilder, less weight and higher reps is just as effective. If you’re looking to get really huge, remember that our hearts already do extra work feeding blood to our AVMS so getting super huge probably isn’t the best for either! Just my humble opinion and experience. Good luck! -GK

No data, but my docs have all told me nothing over 10lbs and I am 3+ months post-op. I have asked when I could maybe start to lift more (I still want to pick up my 56lb 7 year old), but they always answer I am not ready to allow you to do that. As far as exercise I was given the ok for yoga and walking. Never really been into any hardcore exercise, but as my little one got bigger I got stronger.

before my AVM was removed, I was told to stop doing yoga too (they didn’t want my head lower than my body) and to stop lifting weights (I was lifting once a week with the lift as much as you can in 2 minutes, and once you can lift that weight for 3 minutes, slowly though, you move the weight up). Anyways i couldnt do that anymore either so i was just walking every day (once i could walk again) and could do that well for a few miles once i was better from the stroke. Now that I had AVM surgery they are encouaging me to go back to almost everything, “when I am ready” so it is more up to me as to when i can go back to yoga, but i am still walking with a cane and off balance. I walk 5-10 blocks at the most with cane, so im not quite there yet. They say i can lift my son when i feel ready (35 lbs, hasnt hapened yet) but they do not want me lifting weights again yet, which is fine by me, as i have other fish to fry right now!

I was told no more than 50 lbs because heavy lifting caused my avm to bleed. I’m just cautious and if it feels heavy I wont lift it.