AVM LINAC Radiosurgery

Hi Everyone, I’ve been following this platform for a while, reading the topics and discussions provided me with a lot of support and knowledge.
it all started with me 6 months ago when I had a sudden sharp unbearable pain in the left side of my head, accompanied by diplopia, nausea, and I completely lost the sense of balance and felt like an astronaut along with right sided numbness, until I lost consciousness an hour later and luckily, woke up the second day in ICU.
that’s when I knew I had a 9mm by 3mm AVM in the region of the tectum supplied by the posterior circulation with deep venous drainage which caused a significant intraventricular haemorrhage involving cast-like formation of the third and fourth ventricles as well as the cerebral aqueduct.
6 months now since the devastating event, I had several MRIs and Ct Scans and a LINAC Radiosurgery planning session last week. as the AVM I had was deemed inoperable and difficult to visualise on angiography and MRI.
my LINAC Radiosurgery is 2 weeks from now and it’s obvious that it’s very small compared to other AVMs.
I have occasional Light-headedness and some slow eye movements and lightning, as well as weird and strange tingling and occasional numbness in my right facial side and right arm.
what should I expect from the radiosurgery ? post-radiosurgery symptoms ? possibilities of long term effects or deficits ?

1 Like

I had similar systems before my AVM was found in the right thalamus . It was found when I had double vision and almost blacked out back in 2021 . I had gamma knife a year and half ago , I was tired in the head for a month after radio surgery. I’m still getting days where my head feels tired with migraines but everyone is different. Good luck , hope everything works out.

1 Like

Thank you Matt1 wish you a speedy recovery, my double vision is 80% gone, it was way more worse few months ago after I had the bleed.

1 Like

I had zero side effects from my single fraction SRS session. Given the small size of your AVM they’ll probably be able to target it with high precision and spare surrounding regions from excessive doses. Everyone’s different, good luck!

@FredM

Very good to hear from you.

I’m not a radiotherapy patient but the impression I get is that immediately after the event, you’ll probably be no different than you were when you went in. I don’t know whether LINAC requires the wearing of a head frame for the treatment but everyone says that if you need to wear a head frame, that’s the most uncomfortable part of the whole thing.

If it follows the path of things like gamma knife, likely you’ll get some signs of things changing inside at about 6 months after the treatment.

I’m sure we’ve got a new LINAC patient in the last couple of weeks. I’ll see if I can find out who that is.

Best wishes,

Richard

It was you! What am I like? :roll_eyes: When you first posted, the system decided you typed too fast and I had to clear a flag on your post, so I remembered seeing your post but I forgot to reply to you. :man_facepalming:t4:

We do have a category that covers LINAC. Have a read in there. Hopefully we can find some people who have gone through the same as you.

However we can help, just let us know.

Best wishes,

Richard