Drinking alcohol

My doctor has never told me not to drink. The only thing he said was you know your body & you will know your limit. Don’t go out & binge drink.I drink & sometimes it doesn’t agree with me. It has never effected my AVM. Just remember everybody is different & everones body reacts differently to everything. My advice is have fun & live your life.Good luck

great answer Eileen

Kia Kaha

DM

Hi!
I was advice not to drink alcohol by my neurologist....Because alcohol increase blood pressure and this can cause another bleed.Thats a big... Like holly said just one glass of wine now and then....By patience my friend everything will be okay in some future...Good luck my friend and have faith...

This will come across as pretty careless to all, but after my diagnosis of quite a large avm with 3 anyurisyms over 5 years ago now, I was warned not to consume alcohol until at least it was removed.. But me being me, I had the live each day as it comes attitude, and thought my avm could rupture at any time reguardless, so I may aswell make the most of my time and party hard...
I binge drinked every weekend for 12 months till I had my surgery and got it removed..
I know i was playing with fire, but im still here today 5 years on.. Some might say i was lucky(& stupid)but it does go to show that these things can be pretty resilient to abuse..

Looks like we are on the same level here Liz.. Before I was diagnosed I also was doing some pretty heavy lifting with weight training 2-3 days a week for a couple of years where I would push hard, and put myself under massive amounts of strain..
My AVM was not small at all either, and it held up to all this..
It may not be the case for all people, but I know I wasnt going to wrap myself up in cotton wool and not drink, smoke, have sex etc etc all because I had an AVM..
Doctors will always tell you the worst case scenario with the possible risks of doing such things..
Thats my take on this anyways, I am not stating its ok to go and abuse your bodies, just dont severly ristrict yourselves in fear of what can happen..
Live your life :)

Theo you are so correct! They HAVE to tell you all of the risks. I'm not a big drinker by any means, but I gave up smoking which I know contributed a LOT to my condition's decline. I won't give up my Friday night cocktails forever- I never get drunk anyways. And I certainly won't give up sex with my husband- all things my Dr. warned me against. He never told me not to drink though. He knows I have 5-7 drinks a week and seemed fine with it.

My neurologist told me that i will not have alcohol again in my life.My previous one stopped me from medication and in the same time allowed me to drink resulting me to have a seizure(not sure how must they were correlated)

What's your current state w/ AVM? Bleed? Active? Treatment?

Hi Bubu, Since I had no clue what an AVM was even when I was being discharged after my first Craniotomy due to a bleed, One of the two questions I asked the surgeon was can I have a drink of Alcohol (it was New Years eve when it happened ! lol !) and she said it will do you no harm in having a few beers but dont go overboard etc .. so 1/2 or a few are ok according to my initial surgeon. I think it would be best to ask your current doctor/Neuro as they will know best your meds and situation at the moment :) Hope this reply helps, Take care :)

my AVM was treated 7 years ago

Hey … I’ve just been diagnosed 5 weeks ago and I haven’t been told anything because the doctors don’t know what to advise , do you have any fir me ?

It must be scary. I’ve lived knowing about it for 10 years now. My advice is to live life to the fullest. Medically I cannot say because everyone is different. I live my life as if I could die any day anyway from some other kind of circumstance. Lots of prayers for you!

1 Like

Mark,

I was advised in A&E to cut out all stimulants: coffee (caffeine), chocolate, smoking, alcohol, etc. as they raise your blood pressure. At the time, I was starting to get dizziness from my AVM and cutting out such things took away the dizziness, so it was definitely worth doing.

Unfortunately, I have regressed somewhat over the last few months, waiting for my embolization and despite cutting out stimulants, I’m getting more dizzy by the week. I still think it is a good thing to do, though. I can’t imagine what my head would be like if I went back onto coffee & chocolate!

If you notice any difference by cutting these things out, keep off them. If you can’t tell the difference, you may be safer than me to have the occasional beer.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Yes it is a normal Monday morning up for Work at 3.30am by 4.30pm ish I’m in hospital as you have lived for so long with how ? Did you need surgery excuse me if I’m being to personal x

Thank you Mark I have read up on the surgeries but have not seen consultants and I’ve had no advice I’m from the uk have you been to see surgeons or the nuerologist team what was said if you don’t mind me asking …?

It’s a lot to take on from a normal day to that my family are in bits and I’vee had no advice on what to do in 5 weeks thus is my Last hope to get advice and experiences I have know where else to ask …:cry::tired_face:

I’m sorry for you It is terrible but that alone makes me realise we move on I don’t know what to expect ?

It’s very scary my family are going through so much hurt and oain and there is nothing I can do o help do you have any help or advice to deal with this ? Thank you bubu x

I am doing I don’t want to change my life but I don’t want make it worse and with having no proffional advice I’ve turned this to help if you it’s very confusing to me ?

1 Like

I had the option. However, I would be left with brain deficits. My surgeon said to leave it until after I have children. It’s all about risk benefit and what you are willing to live with. I’ve known about mine for 10 years. It took a lot of time for me to come to terms with it and also to not operate at this time.