Drinking alcohol

It definitely takes time. I do not know if you had a CT scan and then an angiogram yet. Depending on where the avm is located, it’s size and position, the dr should be able to provide you some options. Prognosis for everyone may be different. I am told 2-3 percent chance of hemorrhage per year (never accumulating) and 50 percent in a lifetime. That was my prognosis at least. Depending on where the avm is, it may affect different body parts or your senses. It took me a long time but I went to counselling and have spoken to close people about it. My family knows but I’ve lived with it so far. I’ve enjoyed life and remain happy. You find your happiness if you allow yourself to.

Mark,

It takes a long time to get seen and get advice on the NHS when you’re not acute. My story, perhaps similar to yours, is here.

Rather than diverting an old discussion on drinking alcohol with your “story”, consider starting a new topic and tell us about yourself.

Welcome to the site. There are lots of people here who have been just as scared as you, gone through the same things. We’re all here to support you.

Very best wishes,

Richard

I have a few drinks a year, always with food.

1 Like

So, my AVM happened when I was 20. When I turned 21, I asked my mom if I could drink. My mom said, “I will let you have one drink or you can ask your neurologist what he thinks.” I went with my mom’s decision. I will occasionally have a drink or two throughout the month. Since my job does require me to drive, though, I don’t push my luck on drinking. Having to give up driving for 6 months after a seizure is motivation enough for me to stay sober.

1 Like

due to seizures from my avm rupture I limit myself to a drink or two but I dont get drunk or the seizures kick in.
I found non alcoholic beer allows me to feel social without the risk of seizures.

2 Likes

hi bubu80

I was told i can drink but in moderation, a few drinks is relaxing and so calms down the blood pressure, then a lot of drinks can set people off on a highly strung mission.

i have a few beers at the weekend and i use it as a wind down from the working week.

Matty

I had wine the night before my first seizure 9 months ago I don’t indulge and I loved going to happy hour. I’m on seizure meds and had one sip of wine at Christmas and decided the feeling from one sip was not a good idea. I now go to happy hour with friends and have soda. For me it’s a lifestyle change that has to be this way.

2 Likes

Hi OP,

I was never told by my neurosurgeon to not drink. But my brain AVM was considered low risk as it was small with no aneurysms. I never experience seizures with my AVM. I’m not a big drinker, only socially, and I know my limits. Obviously what works for me doesn’t apply to everyone as each AVM is unique. But if your neurosurgeon has strong opinions about it i wouldn’t ignore it as they have years of experience with this sort of thing.

My neurosurgeon told me, yes you can drink, just don’t drink the bottle of wine.

Sarah