Effects face in future even Avm was cured permanently.and precautions

I was 23 now on 8 year ago I got an avm in my right side of my brain that lead to my left body weakness.so I was undergone decompressive carniotomy with using levipil 500 medicine.later the doctors found risky to remove the avm through the surgery so they gone through Gama KNIEF with 24Gy at 50% after 1 year doctor told that I can stop using medications. And after 5 year of gama KNIEF I was done dsa test and M.R.I and doctor told me that every thing is ok.but i still facing little headache sometimes & I was afraid of that AVM might occur in future.so could any one suggest me possible precautions to avoid problems in future.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t really need to worry about your AVM if the gamma knife procedure has been successful. If the doc has said the DSA has shown that it is occluded, then you’re back to normal life.

I think we all have a nagging doubt about whether things are really all fixed. For myself, I had significant dizziness prior to my embolization and even after surgery I had odd sensations that worried me for 1½-2 years afterwards. The big thing I did was to decide I needed to just believe the doc that I was all fixed and stop focusing on the little sensations that were still going on. Sure, if something big happened, then I’d have to do something but the little things? No. I decided I was basically being hypervigilant and it really wasn’t helping me to ‘resume normal life’.

So try to judge whether you’re best to put the AVM behind you and focus on the future.

If you do want to try to be proactive about managing your future risk, you can do the things that the doctors tell us to do about reducing our risk while we have an untreated AVM: I was told to avoid smoking, alcohol, coffee, caffeine, chocolate or lifting heavy weights or straining of any kind while I was waiting for treatment. I don’t smoke anyway but after getting fixed, the only thing I have continued with is to drink decaffeinated coffee rather than with caffeine.

You could also add your diagnosis and treatment to the Health or Safety section of your mobile phone, the telephone number of next of kin and any hospital ID, so that if you’re found unwell, others can get you the help you need quicker perhaps than otherwise. Again, I found having a medical wristband with my diagnosis etc on helped me to feel safer while I was waiting for treatment. The modern way to do this is to put the info in the right part of your mobile phone.

I hope these thoughts might help.

Very best wishes,

Richard

1 Like

Could you please tell me are there any health insurances available for this avm. For a safe future

I’m not at all familiar with health insurance, least of all in India. We do have at least a handful of Indian patients.

Most likely, if you do need treatment in future, it will be similar to what you’ve already experienced, so ensuring you’re covered for similar things should help.