Embolization & hair loss

Hi all

Im due for my first embolization on 15th Sept and was just wondering, do many people suffer with hair loss during the procedure and if so is it much?

Thanks xx

Hi Natalie
I have had 5 embos and getting ready for my sixth. I have never lost hair from the embolizations. The only time I lost hair was from radiation. I lost about a half dollar size of hair where they radiated and my hair never grew back. Lucky for me I have longer hair and it is not that noticable.

Natalie:
On the first two embolizations I had no hair loss, and on the third one there was some problems and I was radiated longer than normal, and afterwards I had the head hair on my left side fall out. It looked bad so I shaved my entire head. I had the gamma knife, and the doctors said if I had hair I would have a small patch fall out. I now keep my head shaved. I am male of course, and it appears I am right in style!!!

Dewdo from the other Washington

Hi Natalie,
I’ve had 7 embolizations and never lost any hair from them. However, 3 weeks after my radiosurgery (gammaknife) a quarter size of hair fell out. The other hair covers it and it is not noticeable, unless I put my hair up but it still bothers me

Hi Natalie, I have had five embolizations, and have lost my hair 3 out of four times, the hair tends to fall out a 2-3 of weeks after the treatment

So, how are you doing, Natalie? I had my first embolization on the 24th of September. The headache was the worst part. It lasted about three weeks. Then it disappeared almost at suddenly as it came on. Now, I am almost 100%. Of course, I have to go back for another embo the first week of December.

My hair fell out about three weeks after the procedure, but my procedure lasted almost six hours, and that was no doubt a factor. A lot of hair fell out right where the AVF was, so I am currently hairless. I had to shave the rest of my head to match.

Hi John,

Sorry i havent been on for a while, im doing great the procedure went really well was in surgery for 2.5hrs and they sealed 35% off, so i have to go back soon for another one that was suppose to be this month but the NHS is a pain. I think i was very lucky to be fair i had a couple of headaches in hospital but as soon as i came out i was ok i did have my bad days of course but in general think i was very lucky. I returned to full time work 2 weeks after the procedure as i was getting bored at home ha ha.

Hope to speak to u soon

Nat

John Hoarty said:
So, how are you doing, Natalie? I had my first embolization on the 24th of September. The headache was the worst part. It lasted about three weeks. Then it disappeared almost at suddenly as it came on. Now, I am almost 100%. Of course, I have to go back for another embo the first week of December.

My hair fell out about three weeks after the procedure, but my procedure lasted almost six hours, and that was no doubt a factor. A lot of hair fell out right where the AVF was, so I am currently hairless. I had to shave the rest of my head to match.